GLSL materials

4964   3   0
51 posts
Since H10 I'm working on a GLSL material preview system for my personal project. Basically this allows to quickly setup and preview materials in Houdini, then export and do the final tweaks using real-time rendering system. This essentially means implementing all the material rendering techniques available in the real-time system as well as bypassing Houdini lighting and doing your own.
The system is rather big and is still in development, but I've a number of small self-contained tests produced while working on it. I'm posting some of these scenes here in case anyone may be interested.

H11_mtl_test - this essentially demonstrates the whole setup albeit in a very simplified form. You can see material parameters GUI here, the shader implements simple bump-mapping and specularity techniques without any lighting. Note that I'm not using h/w cubemaps in the shader, instead it does software lookup from a strip-formated 2D image. Yes, I know about isixpack, but I want to be able to read cubemaps from COPs and it's the only way I have found so far. The environment map here is one of the standard textures that come with Houdini - the cubemap faces are extracted in COPs, then downscaled and reassembled as a strip. The base texture in this scene is standard Houdini UV chart, specular mask and normal map are both generated in COPs;
H11_mtl_test_wall2 - it's basically the scene as above, but using a texture set from cgtextures.com;
H11_plx_test - basic parallax mapping test (not parallax occlusion) using sample textures from DX SDK, this one also shows how to do custom head-light;

I have a number of other potentially interesting scenes, but they require some clean-up - these scenes include more material rendering techniques, custom lighting (including image-based from light-probes), custom fog (including light-scattering fog) and more. So if anybody is interested to talk about these things please post here or contact me directly (see GLSL code for my e-mail).

These scenes are for H11 but this also works in H10 with minor modifications.

Note: if after opening one of these scenes viewport stays blank, try the following - enable “High quality lighting” in the Display options, Render/Update textures from the main menu, optionally turn HQ lighting off (may be faster on some cards).

Attachments:
GLSL_mtl_1.jpg (172.7 KB)
GLSL_mtl_2.jpg (172.9 KB)
GLSL_mtl.zip (1.7 MB)

113 posts
Cool stuff! I did some tests with TouchDesigner to learn hardware shaders development, nice to see some more involved samples in Houdini, hadn't tried that yet.
54 posts
can not show the effect ,always got gray...
Staff
5156 posts
This is a very old thread, initially targeting Houdini 11. H11 used a much earlier version of both GL and GLSL. Current Houdini versions require core GL 3.3 and at least GLSL 330, which is why these shaders no longer work.
  • Quick Links