Q/Confusing default - Render IFD

1980   6   2
7025 posts
Hi,

Using the generateIFD/Render IFD combo, I notice that the default Output Path on the Render IFD TOP has a default value.

Which, if I understand correctly, means that will _always_ override the output path specified in the Generate IFD TOP.

If I'm correct, I would strongly recommend removing the default value in the Render IFD TOP's Output Path field, currently it's very confusing. IMO of course.

Cheers,

peter B
603 posts
Yes, it will override the output by default. If you clear the parm it will not override it, but then you will not get an expected output (which may not matter for you workflow anyway).

Your criticism makes sense, I'll add an RFE to clean up the UX there.
7025 posts
Thanks Chris, though I'm a little confused by your comment that "you will not get an expected output" since I expect the output to be whatever I set on the Generate IFD TOP. Or am I misunderstanding?

If you mean the default value of $HIPFILE/etc/etc that's the same on Generate IFD TOP and the Render IFD TOp anyway, right?

Cheers,

Peter B
603 posts
As it stands, when the renderifd work items are generated they won't know the path of the raster file that will be produced by rendering the ifd (because there is no override). This means it can't cook from cache and you can't make use of expected output downstream (statically).
7025 posts
Ah got it, thanks for clarifying! I may do a channel reference from the Gen IFD path to the Render IFD path then just to avoid any miscommunication inside our tooling.

Cheers,

Peter B
603 posts
This will be fixed in the next build of 18.5 - default changed to not override, and the image path will be passed from generate IFD to render IFD via a work item attrib so that caching will work as expected.
7025 posts
Cool thanks Chris!
  • Quick Links