mapping chop channels to sop primitive groups?

4577   3   2
27 posts
Hello, I am doing something like this:

I did a RDB sim in dop, then extracted and tweaked the rotations in chop. Now how should I applied the tweaked channels back to the primitive groups?

The channels are like this: geo_0:rx , geo_1:rx, …… geo_700:rx. I think if I expand the primitive groups to the obj level, (so that each of them is an object), then chop can recognise the object names and will distribute the channels to the correct objects. But then my scene will be flooded with a lot of objects which is not what I want. How can I manually do something like what the doptransform sop does?

many many thanks…

Wesley
537 posts
have you used the export chop?

If that doesn't foot the bill (too much stuff to export) you can do an expression in the geometry to read in chop channels of that name by the chop expression(s) and string functions via stamping.
27 posts
andrewlowell
If that doesn't foot the bill (too much stuff to export) you can do an expression in the geometry to read in chop channels of that name by the chop expression(s) and string functions via stamping.

Thx. Actually this is what I am doing now (delete -> primitive -> copy), but I noticed that houdini become quite slow as there were quite a lot of copying and channel referencing from chops. The method works fine but it's just quite slow when the no. of primitive groups is about a few hundreds. Is there another way (besides promoting each group to an object and use the export chop) which is faster and neat?

Wesley
537 posts
well here's a method I used it sounds like you did something similar. You can also try to make channel and geometry renders to cache the data. I'm not sure why it would be any quicker on the object level than the geometry level etc.

Attachments:
chopNameStamp.zip (12.3 KB)

• Quick Links