KineFX and animator friendly promotion of controls?

2413   2   1
101 posts
Hi gang, hope everyone is safe and well.

I am delving into KineFX at the moment and have hit an issue. Hopefully just something simple I am missing.

So I have a basic test rig made in KineFX similar to the hive presentation and it is working as expected. With the rigpose node I can select my controls (set up with the attachconrolgeo node) and so on.

I can't however seem to figure out how to get selection and manipulation of those controls up a few levels. That is to say wrap it all up in an HDA (or even just leave it just in the geo container) and have the controls selectable, manipulatable and animatable at the obj level? I wouldn't want/expect an animator to delve into the node, select the rigpose and get going like that for most base projects.

There are mentions of using the computerigpose node and adding kinefx__rigpose into the HDA's default state box but that doesn't seem to work, either nothing happens or the promote button on the computerigpose nod flags up the error I'll paste below.

Many thanks all,
Richard.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "kinefx:op/computerigpose/promoteparms", line 2, in <module>
File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini18.5.499/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/18.5/Resources/packages/kinefx/python2.7libs/kinefx/poseparms.py", line 657, in promoteComputeRigPoseParms
appendPoseParms(t_node, save_to_definition, parmname)
File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini18.5.499/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/18.5/Resources/packages/kinefx/python2.7libs/kinefx/poseparms.py", line 650, in appendPoseParms
node.setParmTemplateGroup(ptg)
File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini18.5.499/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/18.5/Resources/houdini/python2.7libs/hou.py", line 14346, in setParmTemplateGroup
return _hou.Node_setParmTemplateGroup(self, parm_template_group, rename_conflicting_parms)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Reserved parameter 'transformations' already exists
54 posts
I think currently the best thing is to use object-level controls and drive your rig pose nodes with them. That will let you handle cases where you have a few rig poses not only the one. If you not really keen on creating those level controls by hand you can check out some of my tools from https://github.com/kamilhepner/kinefx_tools [github.com]

Cheers,
101 posts
Many thanks Hektor, I will check them out.

Hopefully the tools get bolstered with such things for the next release.

Cheers,
Richard.
  • Quick Links