Mantra takes 45 min to render 640x360 donut model

4785   19   2
67 posts
Hi guys I started using Houdini Apprentice recently to learn Houdini and I don't think Mantra is working properly. I know it's known to be a slow renderer but I have pretty powerful machine here (AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core processor, GeForce RTX 2080 and 64 GB or RAM) and I am rendering this simple donut scene and it takes like 45 min to render with me lowering all settings down. Only thing is I added depth of field and I am using HDRI but even when I disable it it's the same pretty much. I am coming from 3DsMax and superb Vray5 so of course it will be a big difference in speed but still it should be about 50 times faster than this. Here I will share session file and you can tell me. Again I know everyone is complaining about this but at this point I feel like something is wrong on my end. I am learning Houdini for FXTD stuff and if Mantra can't handle a DONUT I better just install VRay or Octane so I can work properly. Please let me know if there is a bug or something because I don't think this should be this slow. This is a still image at 640x360 ...Imagine video sequence at HD. I don't know just trying to figure it oout.
Thanks in advance.
Edited by Nikodim Fomich - Feb. 11, 2021 16:39:33

Attachments:
proceduralDonut.hipnc (843.6 KB)

433 posts
Mantra is just really, really slow. Your scene is fine. I don't have your HDRI but I plopped in one of my own and that's the main problem. A plain white dome light should render in a few minutes, but complex lighting kills these older renderers.

You'd probably get a much more satisfactory result using the new Karma renderer in Houdini. It's in beta but it's already much better. However, it's limited to the "stage" context which takes a bit of study to get working. That's what I'd recommend though. It's much more modern and it's the future of Houdini.
Subscribe to my Patreon for the best CG tips, tricks and tutorials! https://patreon.com/bhgc [patreon.com]

Twitter: https://twitter.com/brianhanke [twitter.com]
Behance: https://www.behance.net/brianhanke/projects [www.behance.net]
8509 posts
must be missing something here
the attached scene, with no other changes just missing HDRI replaced with one of default ones ($HFS/houdini/pic/hdri/HDRIHaven_skylit_garage_2k.rat)
renders in 33s on my old 4 core laptop i7-6700HQ (H18.5.445)
Edited by tamte - Feb. 11, 2021 20:29:10
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
433 posts
tamte
must be missing something here
the attached scene, with no other changes just missing HDRI replaced with one of default ones ($HFS/houdini/pic/hdri/HDRIHaven_skylit_garage_2k.rat)
renders in 33s on my old 4 core laptop i7-6700HQ (H18.5.445)

Whoa, that's crazy. Same here, 10 seconds. If I switch to one from my HDRI Haven library it's giving me an estimated time of 30+ minutes. What's up with that?!
Subscribe to my Patreon for the best CG tips, tricks and tutorials! https://patreon.com/bhgc [patreon.com]

8509 posts
maybe it's the .rat format, Mantra is the most efficient with all textures being .rat, or also I'm not sure how large is your other HDR, that may have some impact too
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
433 posts
Interesting. Amazing that there'd be such a huge difference.

Vanya, here's a Karma HIP file for you to check out. Beautiful render in 1m24s on my slowish laptop.

Edited by BrianHanke - Feb. 11, 2021 20:51:22

Attachments:
donut.png (1.2 MB)
donut_solaris.hipnc (1.4 MB)

67 posts
Thank you so much for the answers guys.

@BrianHanke Thank you for your help. Is KARMA something I need to download from SideFX website ? I can't find it as a node in my ROP network. I was thinking to buy Octane renderer but I don't think it is compatible with Houdini. Or it's only compatible with some high end license or something, not sure I am still trying to understand as I tried to install demo today but seems you can't install 3rd party plugins in Apprentice version of Houdini. I heard of Solaris and Karma but so far didn't look into them as I didn't even know how Mantra works. I assume it is an add-on right? I will go research that immediately. I must speed up these renders

@Tamte Yes I have heard of people having these drastically different experiences. Not sure what .rat format is as I am still new to Houdini but yes my HDRI was 60Mb or so. Not sure If that's considered large as I've used once over 300Mb within 3DsMax in the past.
Edited by Nikodim Fomich - Feb. 11, 2021 22:34:29
433 posts
Karma is included with Houdini. It's part of the new /stage context and isn't a traditional ROP. You can load the workspace by switching from the default "Build" to "Solaris" using the dropdown menu at the top of the screen. Also, download the donut_solaris.hipnc file I linked above and you can see what I did and try to reverse engineer it. Definitely read up on Karma and Solaris in the Houdini docs. This is a good intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqE4HYFDbGk [www.youtube.com] Mantra is very outdated and Karma is going to replace it in the near future.

Octane works great in Houdini and it's one of my favorite renderers. You'll need Houdini Indie to use 3rd party plugins though. Apprentice only gives you Mantra and Karma.

731 posts
As for making your .hdr image into a .rat, you can either use the command-line standalone iconvert or load your hdri in COPs and save it out as a .rat file. I would certainly try that first.

However, I imagine your hdri has some incredibly high values that appear pure white when rendered, but mantra is super-sampling that area up the ying-yang to remove the (invisible to the naked eye) noise. It's not the size of the image necessarily but the dynamic range.

If you load your exr in mplay and hit the "adapt to range" button, is most of the image black except for the highlight?

Sean
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
75 posts
I am running into a very similar situation here with an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x machine that I just built.

Rendering this simple scene with a handful of spheres and a single HDR or EXR image as an environment light takes a really long time to render. I'm talking about almost two hours using the default mantra settings. If I open the same scene at my office on an 8 year old dual Intel xeon machine which is less than half the speed, it renders in about 20 seconds. Converting the HDR image to a .rat file solves the issue on my AMD machine and it renders in 8 seconds.

I understand .rat files are better optimized, but this seems like there is an issue with AMD machines and the handling of HDR/EXR images as environment lights in Mantra.

Can anyone with an AMD machine try to render this test scene?
Edited by smbell - March 21, 2021 20:27:21

Attachments:
mantra_test_scene.zip (6.1 MB)

433 posts
I just got a new AMD laptop. Tested your file and yep, HDR seems to choke about 60% in. Didn't wait for it to finish. RAT takes 21 seconds. Ryzen 9 4900HS 16GB, Houdini 18.5.462.

340 posts
smbell
I am running into a very similar situation here with an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x machine that I just built.

Rendering this simple scene with a handful of spheres and a single HDR or EXR image as an environment light takes a really long time to render. I'm talking about almost two hours using the default mantra settings. If I open the same scene at my office on an 8 year old dual Intel xeon machine which is less than half the speed, it renders in about 20 seconds. Converting the HDR image to a .rat file solves the issue on my AMD machine and it renders in 8 seconds.

I understand .rat files are better optimized, but this seems like there is an issue with AMD machines and the handling of HDR/EXR images as environment lights in Mantra.

25 seconds on my 2019 Mac Pro. Are you using Apprentice by any chance? I've heard that may be different from Indie on a Mac.
Edited by Island - March 21, 2021 23:47:28
Staff
2589 posts
There was a performance improvement in very recent daily builds for non-RAT textures. It was most noticeable on Windows. Please try a recent daily build.
7727 posts
mark
There was a performance improvement in very recent daily builds for non-RAT textures. It was most noticeable on Windows. Please try a recent daily build.

Hey Mark,

I think this might be a different issue. We're seeing roughly performance parity between hdr/rat Envlights on Intel architecture CPU's and vastly different on AMD. Could this be due to differences in LLVM or AVX on the two architectures? This particular env map has a 'sun spot' in it with values in the 100k range.
75 posts
jsmack
mark

Hey Mark,

I think this might be a different issue. We're seeing roughly performance parity between hdr/rat Envlights on Intel architecture CPU's and vastly different on AMD. Could this be due to differences in LLVM or AVX on the two architectures? This particular env map has a 'sun spot' in it with values in the 100k range.

Yeah, there definitely seems to be something else at play here. It doesn't matter what the env map is either. I've tried ones with a very small dynamic range (brights in the 5-10 range) and they exhibit the same behavior on AMD machines.
Staff
2589 posts
smbell

When loading .rat files, mantra reports something like:
 TBF File Cache: 2 file opens (2.13 MB read)

When loading .exr textures, mantra reports something like:
OpenImageIO Texture statistics
Options: gray_to_rgb=0 flip_t=0 max_tile_channels=6
Queries/batches :
texture : 0 queries in 0 batches
texture 3d : 0 queries in 0 batches
shadow : 0 queries in 0 batches
environment : 37217109 queries in 37217109 batches
Interpolations :
closest : 0
bilinear : 0
bicubic : 37217109
Average anisotropic probes : 1
Max anisotropy in the wild : 1

OpenImageIO ImageCache statistics (shared) ver 2.0.10
Options: max_memory_MB=8023.0 max_open_files=512 autotile=64
autoscanline=0 automip=0 forcefloat=0 accept_untiled=1
accept_unmipped=1 deduplicate=1 unassociatedalpha=0
failure_retries=0
ImageInputs : 1 created, 1 current, 1 peak
Total pixel data size of all images referenced : 6.0 MB
Total actual file size of all images referenced : 1.6 MB
Pixel data read : 6.0 MB
File I/O time : 0.0s (0.0s average per thread, for 33 threads)
File open time only : 0.0s
Tiles: 128 created, 128 current, 128 peak
total tile requests : 45377804
micro-cache misses : 19148390 (42.1977%)
main cache misses : 8 (1.76298e-05%)
redundant reads: 0 tiles, 0 B
Peak cache memory : 6.0 MB
Image file statistics:
opens tiles MB read --redundant-- I/O time res File
BROKEN
2 1 8 6.0 0.0s 1024x 512x3.f32 symmetrical_garden_1k.
Tot: 1 8 6.0 ( 0 0.0) 0.0s
1 not tiled, 1 not MIP-mapped
1 was constant-valued in all pixels
Broken or invalid files: 0

And now rendering stats for various machines I was able to test:
18.5.525 - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor
.exr texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:09.86
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:10.01
Total CPU Time: 0:01:13.55
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:03.29
Peak Memory Usage: 505.19 MB

.hdr texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:17.33
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:17.46
Total CPU Time: 0:05:45.45
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:02.98
Peak Memory Usage: 516.16 MB

.rat texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:12.09
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:12.21
Total CPU Time: 0:02:55.49
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:03.91
Peak Memory Usage: 512.64 MB

H18.5.525 - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core Processor
.exr texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:09.12
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:09.18
Total CPU Time: 0:01:21.28
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:05.09
Peak Memory Usage: 522.65 MB

.hdr texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:16.64
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:16.70
Total CPU Time: 0:05:14.13
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:04.89
Peak Memory Usage: 519.21 MB

.rat texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:11.43
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:11.54
Total CPU Time: 0:02:46.68
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:04.04
Peak Memory Usage: 510.90 MB

18.5.525 AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor
.exr texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:14.50
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:14.56
Total CPU Time: 0:04:32.90
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:06.07
Peak Memory Usage: 1.21 GB

.hdr texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:17.47
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:17.54
Total CPU Time: 0:14:53.45
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:05.86
Peak Memory Usage: 1.22 GB

.rat texture
Frame Wall Clock Time: 0:00:12.39
Total Wall Clock Time: 0:00:12.45
Total CPU Time: 0:04:04.92
System CPU Time Only: 0:00:05.48
Peak Memory Usage: 1.25 GB

I'll see if we can test with a more modern processor, but so far, we can't seem to reproduce this.
Staff
2589 posts
Actually, we may have found the issue. Pixels (197,424) and (198,424) in the .exr have infinity values. This throws the importance sampling algorithm in mantra for a loop.
7727 posts
I also saw that the exr is 16bit float by mistake which causes the out of range values to be infinite. When I rendered with the exr it created an all black image. I don't think that's the issue though since the hdr format image doesn't contain that error.
2 posts
Vanya K
Hi guys I started using Houdini Apprentice recently to learn Houdini and I don't think Mantra is working properly. I know it's known to be a slow renderer but I have pretty powerful machine here (AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core processor, GeForce RTX 2080 and 64 GB or RAM) and I am rendering this simple donut scene and it takes like 45 min to render with me lowering all settings down. Only thing is I added depth of field and I am using HDRI but even when I disable it it's the same pretty much. I am coming from 3DsMax and superb Vray5 so of course it will be a big difference in speed but still it should be about 50 times faster than this. Here I will share session file and you can tell me. Again I know everyone is complaining about this but at this point I feel like something is wrong on my end. I am learning Houdini for FXTD stuff and if Mantra can't handle a DONUT I better just install VRay or Octane so I can work properly. Please let me know if there is a bug or something because I don't think this should be this slow. This is a still image at 640x360 ...Imagine video sequence at HD. I don't know just trying to figure it oout.
Thanks in advance.

HI,

Seeing you have V-Ray experience you could give V-Ray for Houdini a try, you might be surprised how easy your previous V-Ray knowledge transfer and how much better is to use V-Ray in Houdini than 3ds-Max.

Best,
David.
340 posts
Karma has not been a good solution for me. It causes a lot of crashes on my Mac Pro 2019 computer running Big Sur. Mantra is slower but very stable.
Edited by Island - March 28, 2021 17:54:35
  • Quick Links