Turn Edges into Curve

81422   34   7
86 posts
Oh my god, how dare SideFX?
So the Game-Dev team just went and built that tool? And in one of the videos Luiz even says, that he might change the tool defaults from “uv” to blank because “it might be useful for other places”..
67 posts
Another option is to put desired eges in a gorup > polypath > blast (pick group and check “Delete Non Selected”). For some reason the Gamedev edge group to curve node crashed on me.
12 posts
I wrote a sop tool that works like this.
Check this out: https://youtu.be/_0_ZnD-iusE [youtu.be]
Staff
1182 posts
Tinkering with the dissolve tool there are a couple things to watch out for. It only works on boundary edges therefore you may need to delete the polygons beside the edge you want to extract - that is if you are trying to get edges or loops “inside” a topology. The second step would then be to select the boundry edges you want(either by hand or with a group) and then press delete (which creates a dissolve sop). On the Dissolve SOP, set Operation to Delete Non-Selected and then set Remove Inline points to OFF - this is especially important if you selected a loop because then ALL the points are inline points and you will see nothing. If you do these steps you should be OK:

Attachments:
dissolve_curve_extract.jpg (964.1 KB)
extract_curves_dissolve.hip (98.5 KB)

Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
15 posts
robsdesign
Not sure if this helps but I've found some of the tools useful…
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/56685/ [www.sidefx.com]

The “GameDev Edge Group to Curve” sop might be useful for this…

I had also struggled with extracting an edge loop from a model and this worked perfectly. Thanks! It's now called “Labs Edge Group to Curve” since the “Game Dev” naming was dropped in H 18. The node's ability to “enable thickness” made me smile since it saved me having to set up a sweep.

With game dev/labs nodes, I usually close my eyes and hold my breath before seeing if I've crashed my project Most of the time, they work fine.
89 posts
99% of the time Polycut works fine to extract edges.

Just invert the group selection (!group).
Edited by PaQ WaK - Jan. 5, 2020 12:40:20
Gameloft
240 posts
rlvelocity
With game dev/labs nodes, I usually close my eyes and hold my breath before seeing if I've crashed my project Most of the time, they work fine.
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
69 posts
Dissolve SOP works like a charm. Use the polypath after, then a polywire, and you have nice tubes that follow underlying geo. Some transform, then _OUT that into a light geo node and you have neon lights that follows your mesh. Neat.
27 posts
Konstantin Magnus
Nathan Apffel
Its hard to believe that these are the best solutions in Houdini for extracting a curve from an edge.

Houdini is a toolbox, not a toy.

This is why the Houdini artists lack of creativity.
8513 posts
Paulo Cunha2
Konstantin Magnus
Nathan Apffel
Its hard to believe that these are the best solutions in Houdini for extracting a curve from an edge.

as the old saying goes:
give artist a Curve From Edges SOP and he will be able to create curve from edges
teach artist how to make Curve From Edges SOP and he will be able to solve all sorts of problems without having to complain about missing tools

I personally think the second requires much more creativity, but regardless there is now a Curve From Edges SOP in Houdini (technically an alias to updated Convert Line SOP)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
236 posts
Paulo Cunha2
Konstantin Magnus
Nathan Apffel

Wow. Brilliant insight.

L
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
16 posts
this all is a joke just make a curve from the edges sop and stop with all the unnecessary steps.
Houdini is falling short when it comes to simple tasks that when multiplied are costing people hours of unnecessary wasted time.
16 posts
this all is a joke just make a curve from the edges sop and stop with all the unnecessary steps.
Houdini is falling short when it comes to simple tasks that when multiplied are costing people hours of unnecessary wasted time.

Labs edge to curve is okay but sometimes buggy.
8513 posts
dreamblk

Labs edge to curve is okay but sometimes buggy.
what made you revive this thread?
the Curve from Edges SOP has been there for some time so no extra steps are necessary since then, however if you are running into some issues you may want to clarify more
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
856 posts
Konstantin Magnus
Nathan Apffel

That's why I like the pluralize function.
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links