Cannot save file from LOPS

4564   11   1
214 posts
I'm having a strange issue. Files are not saving from LOPS. No complaints coming from the engine or out of the console. File path exists and is set correctly. In the logs I notice that Houdini (husk) is attempting to read a temp file but I don't see any evidence that this file actually exists. Here's the log output:

husk version 18.5.462
Command Line: husk --snapshot 300 -V 9 -o C:/Users/Adam/Desktop/deleteMe/karmaTest/karmaTest_0001.exr -f 1 -R BRAY_HdKarma C:/Users/Adam/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/usdrender_23956_39_6/render.usd
Architecture - AMD64: mmx xmmx sse sse2 cmov fpcmov ht sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 avx avx2
Loading: C:/Users/Adam/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/usdrender_23956_39_6/render.usd
Defaulting to use settings found at /Render/rendersettings1
Loading render settings: /Render/rendersettings1
/Render/rendersettings1 contains 0 render products
Load 479 properties from C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.462/houdini/RenderProperties.json
Imported 0 global defaults
Imported 0 object defaults
Imported 0 light defaults
Imported 1 camera defaults
Imported 0 plane defaults
Imported 0 command defaults
Create Fallback Sprim: extComputation
Create HdSprim: extComputation
Create Fallback Sprim: diskLight
Create HdSprim: diskLight
Create Fallback Sprim: camera
Create HdSprim: camera
Create Fallback Sprim: domeLight
Create HdSprim: domeLight
Create Fallback Sprim: material
Create HdSprim: material
Create Fallback Sprim: distantLight
Create HdSprim: distantLight
Create Fallback Sprim: rectLight
Create HdSprim: rectLight
Create Fallback Sprim: cylinderLight
Create HdSprim: cylinderLight
Create Fallback Sprim: sphereLight
Create HdSprim: sphereLight
Create HdBprim: renderBuffer
Create HdBprim: openvdbAsset
Create HdBprim: bprimHoudiniFieldAsset
Adding AOV for color4f color (color)
Create HdBprim: renderBuffer /_UsdImaging_BRAY_HdKarma_000000006FA58B80/aov_color
New AOV: /_UsdImaging_BRAY_HdKarma_000000006FA58B80/aov_color
{
"RenderDelegate":"BRAY_HdKarma",
"Camera":"/cameras/camera1",
"RenderSettings":{
"aspectRatioConformPolicy":"expandAperture",
"batchCommandLine":["husk","--snapshot","300","-V","9","-o","C:/Users/Adam/Desktop/deleteMe/karmaTest/karmaTest_0001.exr","-f","1","-R","BRAY_HdKarma","C:/Users/Adam/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/usdrender_23956_39_6/render.usd"
],
"dataWindowNDC":,
"houdini:renderer":"husk",
"includedPurposes":["default"
],
"instantaneousShutter":false,
"karma:global:embree_quality":1,
"karma:global:ipr_enable":false,
"karma:global:ipr_inc_random":false,
"karma:global:ipr_proxydepth":0,
"karma:global:ipr_reserve_threads":0,
"karma:global:rendercamera":"/cameras/camera1",
"materialBindingPurposes":["full","allPurpose"
],
"nsi:global:maximumdiffusedepth":2,
"nsi:global:pixelsamples":8,
"nsi:global:shadingsamples":32,
"nsi:global:volumesamples":16,
"pixelAspectRatio":1,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu0_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu1_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu2_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu3_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu4_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu5_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu6_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_gpu7_enable":true,
"redshift:global:RS_log_level":"Debug",
"renderCameraPath":"/cameras/camera1",
"renderMode":"batch",
"resolution":,
"shutter:close":0.25,
"shutter:open":-0.25,
"usdFileTimeStamp":1616432020,
"usdFilename":"C:/Users/Adam/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/usdrender_23956_39_6/render.usd"
},
"RenderProducts":[
{
"settings":{
"productName":"C:/Users/Adam/Desktop/deleteMe/karmaTest/karmaTest_0001.exr",
"productType":"raster",
"sourcePrim":"husk_default"
},
"RenderVariables":[
{
"AOVName":"color",
"AOVPixelFormat":"float16",
"AOVChannelSize":4,
"HdFormat":"HdFormatFloat16Vec4",
"HdMultiSampled":true,
"HdClearValue":,
"settings":{
"dataType":"color4f",
"sourceName":"C.*",
"sourcePrim":"husk_default",
"sourceType":"lpe"
}
}
]
}
]
}

Start Wall Clock Time: 0:00:06.09
Start Memory Usage: 407.72 MB
>>> Render C:/Users/Adam/Desktop/deleteMe/karmaTest/karmaTest_0001.exr
Create HdRprim: mesh /grid1/mesh_0
Create HdSprim: material /materials/grid
Create HdRprim: mesh /torus1/mesh_0
Create HdSprim: material /materials/torus
Create HdSprim: rectLight /lights/light1
Create HdSprim: camera /cameras/camera1
Staff
4435 posts
The temp file is created, rendered, then cleaned up by the USD Render ROP. So you will only see it if you go look for it while the render is still happening.

But I do not know how or why husk might be running (without any obvious errors) but not generating an image... Maybe it's silently crashing? Do you get this same behavior with all scenes? Could you send us a really simple hip file that shows the problem? Thanks!
7737 posts
does the target directory exist?
260 posts
Can u post the code for the .usda stage file?
I´ve been using LOPS with Karma for a while now and usually the problems happened because the resulting usd file was not set "correctly".
214 posts
Here's a file to check out. I'll note that this file did render and save successfully with Houdini 18.5.499, but not with 18.5.462. Exact same file with no modifications.

About target directory existing: yes, it does. Houdini will even create the directory if it doesn't exist. Just doesn't write the file. My guess is that it actually silently fails to render, as suggested above, for some reason?

Attachments:
LOPSTest_v001_01.hip (1.6 MB)

214 posts
mtucker
The temp file is created, rendered, then cleaned up by the USD Render ROP. So you will only see it if you go look for it while the render is still happening.

I actually watched my temp directory during render to see if it was putting anything in there, and I did not see any files happening. Maybe it was all too quick, but I thought I could spy the process maybe.
Staff
4435 posts
aswaab
I'll note that this file did render and save successfully with Houdini 18.5.499, but not with 18.5.462.

To be frank, I don't feel very motivated to track down a bug in 18.5.462 that is already fixed in 18.5.499... If you can replicate this issue in an up to date version of Houdini I'll be happy to look at it, but otherwise it feels like a bit of a waste of time (it's quite possible another developer knows what this issue is and could verify that they fixed it, but not everyone reads every thread).
214 posts
mtucker
To be frank, I don't feel very motivated to track down a bug in 18.5.462 that is already fixed in 18.5.499

Totally hear you on this, and it makes sense. My big holdup is waiting on 3Delight to build against 18.5.499 (which will happen soon). That's why I put the issue forward with 18.5.462, to at least see if anyone knew what was happening.
260 posts
aswaab
mtucker

I actually watched my temp directory during render to see if it was putting anything in there, and I did not see any files happening. Maybe it was all too quick, but I thought I could spy the process maybe.

Just doing a quick look at your file, there are no save paths set for the usd layers you are authoring inside Solaris. For the time being, most of my problems happened for that reason.
Usually, the artists create the Solaris scene with just the nodes in mind, thinking only about the lighting and not about the underlying usd that´s being built. I haven´t had much success using that approach.

I´ll apply some fixes as soon as I´m able and I´ll get back to you.
7737 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
aswaab
mtucker

Just doing a quick look at your file, there are no save paths set for the usd layers you are authoring inside Solaris. For the time being, most of my problems happened for that reason.
Usually, the artists create the Solaris scene with just the nodes in mind, thinking only about the lighting and not about the underlying usd that´s being built. I haven´t had much success using that approach.

I´ll apply some fixes as soon as I´m able and I´ll get back to you.

I think the save paths are localized to the temp folder when rendering directly to husk. Ignoring them for direct rendering should work as node paths are only aesthetically bad, which shouldn't matter for temp files.
Staff
4435 posts
jsmack
I think the save paths are localized to the temp folder when rendering directly to husk. Ignoring them for direct rendering should work as node paths are only aesthetically bad, which shouldn't matter for temp files.

Yes, this should be true (though of course there's always the chance that there are bugs).
260 posts
Hi Adam (?),

I did a quick fix with some notes in your file, but I don't have 3dlight to test here. If you don't mind testing and giving us feedback to say if It worked or not, I would appreciate it.
I don't have enough spare time right now to implement what I consider a more robust workflow, but I've written some notes.

Attachments:
LOPSTest_v001_01_adjusted.hiplc (1.6 MB)

• Quick Links