128 GB for optimal simulation RAM ?

3254   5   2
67 posts
I am doing a lot of simulations and I am trying to expand my RAM memory as I was informed by Jeff Wagner and some other people that 64 GB is some minimum and 128 GB is desirable. Now I have 64 GB installed and I am planning on doing 128 GB jump but I am not sure if my current configuration can take it. Current RAM I am using is 4x16 G.Skill RipJaws DDR4.I am not sure what chips would my CPU be compatible with or if it can even take 128 GB.
I called one computer store and they don't recommend it and they wouldn't even do it under warranty. Here I will screenshot my specs and if anyone has any experience please let me know I would appreciate your input. Thank you.
Edited by Nikodim Fomich - April 6, 2021 18:56:09

Attachments:
system.png (323.6 KB)

359 posts
Your motherboard and operating system are what limits your RAM. You have 4 DDR4 slots and your particular motherboard supports a maximum of 128 GB, and you're using Windows Pro so no problem there. You'd want to get 4 identical 32GB DIMMs. G.skill is an okay brand for this, but any brand will do.
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
67 posts
toadstorm
Your motherboard and operating system are what limits your RAM. You have 4 DDR4 slots and your particular motherboard supports a maximum of 128 GB, and you're using Windows Pro so no problem there. You'd want to get 4 identical 32GB DIMMs. G.skill is an okay brand for this, but any brand will do.

Thank you so much for your response. I did find info online but wanted to confirm with Houdini VFX community as I didn't know if gamer's opinions can be taken into account (in their own words). My board is AMD and I found some Ripjaws but they are "made for Intel" as stated on the website. Would that even matter? Thank you for your help.
63 posts
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B550M-A/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/ [www.asus.com]

That link should list all the QVL memory that has been tested and approved by asus. That doesn’t mean other memory won’t work, it just hasn’t been tested. My motherboard was rated for 128gb but there were no 128gb packages listed on the QVL but they did have 2x32gb packages listed. I found that same memory in a 4x32gb pack and it works great. I also noticed that your ram speed is really low. Many ram chips default to a much lower speed than they are rated for and have to be manually set in the bios to their rated speed.
63 posts
For reference this is what I put in my asus motherboard with and 3900x
G.Skill 128GB Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 CL16 RGB Quad Channel Kit (4X 32GB)
However I think with 4 ram modules I’m only able to get 2800mhz speed with my board.
250 posts
I have 4 x 32 GB GSkills Ripjaws V series on a B450-A so yes, 128 GB should run fine on your motherboard/CPU, the only limitation might be speed, the more ram you have, the lower the speed, usually, but 3200 Ghz should not be a problem, if your ram supports it, of course, mine runs fine at 3600 Ghz!
  • Quick Links