Mesh Slicing Sop Random Tiles

1342   1   1
169 posts
I'm plugging some geometry through a Mesh Slicing sop set to 4, 1, 4.

It's a terrain so I get 16 tiles.

The problem is that the tiles number (given by the class from 0 to 15) are random. So tile 0 can be in the northeast corner, then tile 1 is in the southeast corner. They just jump all over the place.

But it gets even more complicated: I have to lod things, so I'm slicing up the different lod levels (from the same source). 2 of them match (as in tile 1 from one polyreduced model matches tile 1 from the other) but the third it places tiles in a DIFFERENT random pattern. Below is tile 0 from lod0 and lod1 (highlighted) and tile 0 from lod2. As you can see it's a different tile.

Is there a setting or anything I can do to have the splitter actually keep the same tile order?

More than that, is the a way to set the splitter to not place tiles almost randomly. So look at the example below: The corner tile (0) has as its neighbors tile 7, 6 and 3? Doesn't seem very logical.

BTW, tile 1 is down, BELOW tile 7

Maybe I'm not setting something correctly but there aren't any docs on this node as it's pretty simple.

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by firefly9000 - April 10, 2021 19:52:52

Attachments:
randomtiles01.png (38.4 KB)
randomtiles02.png (753.2 KB)
randomtiles03.png (714.0 KB)

Winter is coming!
169 posts
Oh well, did it in vex. Not very elegant (or scalable at this point) but it works.

s@groupname = "tiling" + sprintf("%i", @class);
setprimgroup(0, @groupname, @primnum, 1, "set"); 
v@result_bb = getbbox_center(0, s@groupname);
v@tile = rint(@result_bb/1024) * -1;
f@tilenumber = @tile.x + (@tile.z * 4);
Winter is coming!
  • Quick Links