Houdini crashed, where are the auto-saved files located?

35782   11   1
320 posts
I am learning Houdini, working on a model and Houdini crashed. I opened the recent project nothing came up, opened recent file and my file did not come up. autosave was set to 1 minute, I just changed it to 5. so this begs the question, where are my autosaved files located?
181 posts
Depending or your system, crash auto saves could be in /temp, /tmp or maybe /tmp/houdini_temp/.

There might also be a directory called “backup” in the same location as your Houdini project file.

Specified in the HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR variable using the hconfig utility.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/config_env [www.sidefx.com]
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/commands/pathmap [www.sidefx.com]
Staff
2540 posts
$HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR is where Houdini writes cache files and undo files.

When Houdini crashes it writes to $TEMP. So it's $TEMP you want for crash files and crash logs. Btw, please please try to reproduce the crash and send in a Bug report to support with the steps to recreate the crash, the scene file and the .txt crash log file saved to $TEMP.

For new users the easiest way to see what these variables are set to is to fire up Houdini, open a Textport and type:

/ -> echo $HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR
/tmp/houdini_temp

/ -> echo $TEMP   
/tmp

——–

You can echo any system environment variable inside Houdini if you wish. When it fires up, it sees all the system environment variables using the hscript unix command. Btw hscript unix works on Windows and is used to access any shell command. Yes windows has a shell including the defaults shipped with Houdini. Several in fact: shell, powershell, bash and if you want to install cygwin. You can access any of these system environment variables in any parameter or code snippet in Houdini btw preceded with a $.

Again open up Houdini and open up a textport then type unix printenv to print all the system variables seen by Houdini (and note in that list is TEMP and HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR):

/ -> unix printenv
job=/work/user/job
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
HOST=mymachine.local
TERM=xterm-256color
SHELL=/bin/bash
HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR=/tmp/houdini_temp
CLICOLOR=1
HOUDINI_OS=MacOS
TMPDIR=/var/folders/8y/n9vxx_kj1t17b1j5yhf87zl00000gn/T/
H=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources
hou10dir=cd /Users/jeff/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0
sqa=/n/iowa2/tmp/jeff/user/sqa
HOUDINI_BUILD_KERNEL=15.6.0
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.aiBLuTVS7c/Render
HOUDINI_BUILD_VERSION=717
HDSO=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/../Libraries
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=361.1
HT=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/toolkit
TERM_SESSION_ID=7A1EDE4D-83F5-4ADB-B803-303F84819980
comp=/work//user/comp
previs=/work//user/previs
render=/work//user/render
HH=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/houdini
user=/work//user
USER=jeff
TEMP=/tmp
hj=/Users/jeff/houdini.jeff
HSB=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/houdini/sbin
HOUDINI_BUILD_PLATFORM=Mac OS X 10.11.6
HIP=/private/tmp
vfx=/work//user/vfx
char=/work//user/char
demos=/work//Demos/demo_repository
HOUDINI_MINOR_RELEASE=0
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.n13VDH4EY3/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0x0:0x0
HB=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/bin
ACTIVETAKE=Main
HOUDINI_DESKTOP_DIR=/Users/jeff/Desktop
HD=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/demo
HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR=/Users/jeff/Library/Preferences/houdini/16.0
PATH=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/binApplications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/houdini/sbinUsers/jeff/binusr/local/binusr/binbinusr/sbinsbin
HOUDINI_VERSION=16.0.717
work=/work/
glue=/work//user/glue
_=/usr/bin/printenv
POSE=/Users/jeff/Library/Preferences/houdini/16.0/poselib
PWD=/tmp
proj=/work/proj
JOB=/private/tmp
JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
jwi=/n/iowa2/tmp/jeff
EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
jeff=~
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
XPC_FLAGS=0x0
HOUDINI_BUILD_COMPILER=7.3.0
HFS=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources
HOUDINI_MAJOR_RELEASE=16
XPC_SERVICE_NAME=0
prog=/work//user/prog
HOME=/Users/jeff
SHLVL=2
HHC=/Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/houdini/config
LOGNAME=jeff
CLASSPATH=.Applications/Houdini/Houdini16.0.717/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/16.0.717/Resources/houdini/scripts/java/sesi.jar
HIPFILE=/private/tmp/untitled.hip
HIPNAME=untitled
sesi=/work/sesi
HOUDINI_PATH=~/houdini.jeff:&
SECURITYSESSIONID=186aa
There's at least one school like the old school!
1 posts
For new users the easiest way to see what these variables are set to is to fire up Houdini, open a Textport and type:

/tmp/houdini_temp

/ -> echo $TEMP   
/tmp
[/quote]
Please what do you mean about Texport?
In google i seach "how to acces to text port houdini" and I found https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/windows/textport.html
it just say what Texxtport do but nothing how to find it...
Please lets me know where we have to ptt this code into?
/tmp/houdini_temp

/ -> echo $TEMP   
/tmp
23 posts
same here WHERE HOW ???
why not just put this into in the preference ?

without Code how do you find the the crash file location ?
Edited by Thomas4D - April 1, 2020 19:05:49
Most Joy
Thomas4D
“The Bruce Lee of XYZ”
182 posts
Peter Thomas
without Code how do you find the the crash file location ?

There is a $TEMP shortcut in the File Browser:

You can also install SideFX Labs, which adds a convenient “Open Crashfile” menu script:

Attachments:
browser.JPG (16.1 KB)
crashfile.JPG (18.6 KB)

193 posts
How do you open a textport or i assume a console or a terminal.
Just open a text port is not really helpful advice.
Edited by NicTanghe - July 22, 2020 12:26:46
7760 posts
NicTanghe
How do you open a textport or i assume a console or a terminal.
Just open a text port is not really helpful advice.

Textport is different from console or terminal. The textport is part of Houdini.

I don't know how the advice to ‘open the textport’ to came up, but usually when Houdini crashes a window pops up saying where it saved the crash file.

Attachments:
textport.png (408.5 KB)

1 posts
So Houdini (Indie) crashed on me after moving a curve that affected a lot of Geos. Now I did the File->Crash Recovery->Open Crashfile steps but then got the Error message "Unexpected end of .hip file". Is there still a way to restore it? I still have a copy of the crash. file! Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
Capture47.jpg (26.1 KB)

7760 posts
Fluadlwirt
So Houdini (Indie) crashed on me after moving a curve that affected a lot of Geos. Now I did the File->Crash Recovery->Open Crashfile steps but then got the Error message "Unexpected end of .hip file". Is there still a way to restore it? I still have a copy of the crash. file! Thanks in advance!

Nope! The crash file is garbage. Hope you saved not that long before it crashed.
1 posts
Is it possible at all to change the location for autosave? I always have autosave go to wherever my houdini file is inside a "backup" folder but would love to be able to change the directory.

Thanks a lot in advance!
160 posts
Yes, you can set it with a package.
{
  "enable": true,
  "env": [
    {
      "HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR": "C:path/to/new/temp/directory"
    }
  ]
}

Replace the path with the path you want, then save it as e.g. myEnvironment.json in .../User/Documents/houdini20.0/packages/
  • Quick Links