Import mixamo characters and animations separately

3429   2   1
2 posts
Hello!

I'm quite new to Houdini and wanted to import mixamo animations for simple setups. I've managed to import a complete mixamo character as an Agent in houdini via FBX. No problem there, it animates and I even managed to apply materials via a principled shader.

So, what I want to do is grab a few characters on mixamo (just the T-Poses) and grab animations separately (save animations as FBX without the skins). That way, I can mix and match character skins and animations as I please.

I've watched about 15 Houdini videos on the subject and read about as much posts here and elsewhere on mixamo, animations, rigging, etc. Nothing seems to work for my specific case. I was trying to go the Agent route since it seems to be the easiest and since the mixamo animations are custom made for their characters (I guessed the rigs should match more easily).

My workflow was :
- create a geo node
- inside the geo node create and Agent node and point the the FBX for the character with no animation
- add an unpack node to transform the geo from 1 point packed to full model
- add a Agent Clip node and point to the saved animation in FBX format (I see a second connecter named "Motion Clip (Input 2)", so does an animation need to be plugged in there instead of inside the Agent Clip node?)

With this nothing moves. I can't set Current Clip in Agent Clip since no animation is added to select, even if I have two FBX ones in there. I'm including my project file and other dependencies. If you look at the project, one character is dancing since it's a straight mixamo import with the character + animation in the FBX. The other part is the one described above. Note I couldn't join the two models since it was too big for the 15 megs attachment limit... (the character is Michelle at mixamo.com)

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Image Not Found

Attachments:
Mixamo-animation-test.rar (196.3 KB)

2531 posts
KineFX should help out in this situation. If you haven't watched any tutorials on that topic, do a search.

Try dropping down a fbxcharacterimport node for the mesh skin, then drop down a fbxanimationimport node for the motions. The tutorials will show you how to blend the two together.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2 posts
Hello!

Thanks for the answer. I did dabble a bit with KineFX but had some weird skin issues. I'll try again and check out more tutorials. Thanks again!
  • Quick Links