Importing Material Assignments from Older HDAs

2682   7   2
12 posts
hello Solaris team --

I have a tricky issue I've been trying to solve for a few days - I've got several years of HDAs, things like tables and chairs, which all assign materials in SOPs. In general these don't use groups, but rather assign materials before a merge. for example, a chair with a slatted seat and back would have slatMat assigned and legMat assigned, and then the two streams are combined for output.

i've got the material library in LOPs no problem - is there a way to assign it using shop_materialpath?

thanks!
Staff
4435 posts
Put your HDA inside a SOP Create LOP, and hit the Auto-fill Materials button. This is exactly what happens when you put down a Test Geometry Pig node in the LOP context, since that geometry has two separate materials, using shop_materialpath to specify which parts of the geometry are assigned which material.
12 posts
Nice! This technique works great with HDAs. It would be nice if it would work with Object Merge nodes as well, to get to sop_materialpath from sops.
Staff
4435 posts
Why wouldn't it work with an Object Merge? The SOP Create LOP doesn't care how the SOP geometry is created, as long as it has a shop_materialpath attribute...
7741 posts
mtucker
Why wouldn't it work with an Object Merge? The SOP Create LOP doesn't care how the SOP geometry is created, as long as it has a shop_materialpath attribute...

Is there any chance of the scene import doing this automatically at some point? It has a checkbox for importing 'sop materials', but it's a bit disappointing because it doesn't import sop material assignments.
12 posts
I'm not sure why it doesn't work, but it doesn't seem to work...
Staff
4435 posts
Open the attached file and hit Auto-fill Materials on the SOP Create LOP. For me it creates the red, green, and blue materials for the three merged objects. Is this not what you're describing? Or does this hip file not work for you?

Attachments:
objmerge_materials.hip (397.8 KB)

Staff
451 posts
jsmack
Is there any chance of the scene import doing this automatically at some point?

Supporting shop_materialpathvia SceneImport requires enough modifications to the current behaviour that I'm concerned about trying to change it in 18.5 (or below).
Edited by robp_sidefx - April 15, 2021 06:39:39
  • Quick Links