Can you change the camera Dolly speed in viewports?

4020   10   0
117 posts
I'm really not friends with Houdini viewport navigation. Right now I have a problem with the Dolly being insanely fast. If I Hold Alt+Right Mouse Button and then move the mouse a bit the whole scene disappears almost instantly.
Is there a way to change the speed somehow? I can hold Shift to move around but even that one is a bit too fast.

Also another odd thing if I press the Home Selected with any object selected I always end up very far away from the objects, I cannot even see them anymore so have to zoom in a lot. Should not Home Selected zoom on the selected object?

Cheers,
Andreas
117 posts
Anyone? This is driving me a bit crazy. Every time I by mistake try to Dolly the whole scene just goes away because it dollys so quickly so everything disappears.
7750 posts
AndreasOberg
Anyone? This is driving me a bit crazy. Every time I by mistake try to Dolly the whole scene just goes away because it dollys so quickly so everything disappears.

I see this happen once in a while too. Try to click on something when dollying, as the speed is dependent on the ray intersection distance with what's under the cursor when clicking.
710 posts
That definitely doesn't sound right, is this a persistent issue? If all else fails, maybe try renaming your houdini preferences folder under your Documents so it generates fresh preferences on the next launch.
117 posts
Hiya guys. It seems like the scene thinks that it is super large. I made a sun that was far away and that seemed to mess up the scene scale. For example if I press Home it zooms me far out so the grid is -50,000 and +50,000. I even deleted the sun but everything is still far away.

I was thinking maybe try to create a new scene and copy all the nodes in. Any other way to reduce the size of the scene?
Also if you move the viewport by mistake which happens a LOT now, can you undo that? In Max I could press shift Z and it would undo a rotation.

Thanks for the help, pretty annoying!

Edit. I tried pasting all the nodes into a new level and it is still broken. If I click on any object and say Home Selected it just zooms out FAR away
Edited by AndreasOberg - April 22, 2021 15:33:53
7750 posts
AndreasOberg
Hiya guys. It seems like the scene thinks that it is super large. I made a sun that was far away and that seemed to mess up the scene scale. For example if I press Home it zooms me far out so the grid is -50,000 and +50,000. I even deleted the sun but everything is still far away.

Homing the viewport is a few different keys, there's home all, home selection, and home construction plane. If there's no selection, home section will home all. 'All' includes everything including lights. Disabling visibility on the lights and other faraway stuff should make it behave more reasonably. As an aside, is there a reason to make a light super far away like that, why not use a Sun light?

AndreasOberg
Also if you move the viewport by mistake which happens a LOT now, can you undo that? In Max I could press shift Z and it would undo a rotation.

I'm not sure how something can happen by mistake, but tumbling doesn't count as an action in Houdini since it doesn't affect the scene and is not saved to file. Since it's not an action it can't be undone. It would be terrible to have every tumble fill up the undo buffer.

If you've got a particular view you want to keep, it can be saved as a viewport snapshot, or saved as a camera.

AndreasOberg
Edit. I tried pasting all the nodes into a new level and it is still broken. If I click on any object and say Home Selected it just zooms out FAR away

The object must be really big then. Is it possible there's some garbage points that are super far away from the bulk of the geo?
4503 posts
AndreasOberg

Hi Andreas, how are you man?

No you can't undo viewport actions like in Max. I have asked for this for a long time but one of these I might find some time to implement it myself.

jsmack
I'm not sure how something can happen by mistake, but tumbling doesn't count as an action in Houdini since it doesn't affect the scene and is not saved to file. Since it's not an action it can't be undone. It would be terrible to have every tumble fill up the undo buffer.

In Max viewport actions are kept in a separate buffer that doesn't affect the scene action buffer, so you can undo/redo each independently.
Edited by animatrix_ - April 23, 2021 03:18:41
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
117 posts
Hiya guys, thanks for all the inputs.
A few answers.
I deleted the sun I created, but did not notice anything better. I have looked and I do not know that any "garbage object" is really far away. It is still odd, you would think that if I select a box that is 100x100 large and select Home All it would not zoom out to Kingdom Kong.
For example if I by mistake move the mouse scroll wheel then I zoom out so far away so I no longer can see any objects. I will end up at about -30,000 + 30,000.

In Max the viewport movement is in a separate viewport undo buffer. I always liked that feature since it is quite easy to mess around the viewport.
Another thing I really miss in Houdini is this:
- Being able to control the camera like in a computer game. With WASD keys and the mouse or just with a game controller. I made this big house and would be great to move around in it. Right now the only really way to do that is by typing in coordinates for a camera and moving it by that way, which is far from the flexibility I would have in say Unreal or Max. Maybe this feature exist and I have missed it?

A few things I found to lessen the pain:
- Use a camera instead. Then I can undo the camera movement!
- I have hand placed cameras in all the normal directions I want to use, so Front, Up, Down. Remember if I press the default Up, Down it zoomes out to -50,000 + 50,000 and it is really hard to find the geomtry
- You can save quick positions of the camera, This is good if I get lost.

The reason I created my own sun is because I wanted to see exactly where the sun will be geographically so I wrote this little tool where I enter Sun degrees. Very nifty, but I took it away because of the viewports.
7750 posts
AndreasOberg
I deleted the sun I created, but did not notice anything better. I have looked and I do not know that any "garbage object" is really far away. It is still odd, you would think that if I select a box that is 100x100 large and select Home All it would not zoom out to Kingdom Kong.
For example if I by mistake move the mouse scroll wheel then I zoom out so far away so I no longer can see any objects. I will end up at about -30,000 + 30,000.

Something seems wrong because that definitely doesn't happen to me. Do you have Redshift installed by chance? It's notorious for breaking Houdini in mysteriously frustrating ways.
117 posts
Ah yes I have Redshift. I will try uninstalling it.
1 posts
Hi!
Don't know if this solves what you got, but it solved many of my issues similar to yours.
Create a new camera and set you view port to see as the camera.
After this you'll be able to move normally

Attachments:
H.png (648.5 KB)

• Quick Links