AMD Radeon ProRender Solaris plugin

27263   69   4
35 posts
Hi Shakula,
Do we have a list that compares the feature available between Full(Legacy) and Full?
Just notice that SSS isn't looking the same at all, and the documentation is talking about parameters that aren't available anymore.

Also, I noticed something interesting when using a model with bad geometry and SSS; some weird pink sphere appeared using Full(Legacy)

First image is clean geo SSS Full(Legacy)
Second image shade view of the geo
Third image is bad geo SSS Full(Legacy)
Cheers
Edited by benco - April 19, 2021 16:59:27

Attachments:
clean_geo_SSS_Full_legacy.png (1.9 MB)
crabe_geo.png (934.3 KB)
crabe_not_clean_SSS_full_legacy.png (2.0 MB)

40 posts
benco
Just notice that SSS isn't looking the same

That's nice timing for your question about SSS. SSS was implemented for the Full quality only in the latest RPR SDK. But the Houdini plugin was not yet updated to this version. Let me know if this feature is a blocker for you.

benco
the documentation is talking about parameters that aren't available anymore
Are you looking at the Houdini plugin docs? If so could you please point to mismatched information?

benco
Do we have a list that compares the feature available between Full(Legacy) and Full?
I was not able to find something comprehensive but I found an internal list of issues from unit tests:
* Phong material not working. 
    we have no plan to add this. Lets drop this

* image filter ( FILTER_BOX , FILTER_TRIANGLE , FILTER_GAUSSIAN ... )  not implemented.
    will add

* same for all post effects / composites.

* SSS , Volumetric not working. let me know when implemented on NS side, so I can start the tests on RPR.
    WIP target is 2.02.2

* "transparentbackground" not implemented on NS.
    need to think

* I see several issues around 2 sided materials. especially about emissive. Is it supposed to be implemented on NS ?  I would need to check again binding with RPR.
    this is a bug :  RPRNEXT-665: issues with 2 sided emission materialTO DO 

* MATERIAL_NODE_LOOKUP_UV1  not implemented on NS ?
    will do. probably need to think about better architecture

* Value per vertex not implemented in NS.

* ability to enable or disable mipmap per image not working.  ( not bound to NS )   is it implemented on NS ?
    wont do

* changing Sampler type ( sobol random CMJ )   do we want to expose that in RPR API ?
    no. well switch to pmj targetting 2.02.2

* Ambient occlusion AOV not implemented on NS ?
    will do

* clipping plane not implemented in NS ?
    probably, not hearing much about this from user yet so not high priority

* AOV_OBJECT_GROUP_ID  not implemented in NS ?
    will do

* CAMERA_MODE_CUBEMAP  ;  CAMERA_MODE_CUBEMAP_STEREO
    probably not. lets see users reaction

benco
Also, I noticed something interesting when using a model with bad geometry and SSS; some weird pink sphere appeared using Full(Legacy)
I'm not sure we have to worry about the bad geometry case. But anyway, can you share the bad geometry case, I will take a look
Edited by hshakula - April 20, 2021 10:13:40
35 posts
hshakula
benco
Just notice that SSS isn't looking the same

That's nice timing for your question about SSS. SSS was implemented for the Full quality only in the latest RPR SDK. But the Houdini plugin was not yet updated to this version. Let me know if this feature is a blocker for you.

I'm in the testing phase, so nothing is necessarily blocking, but I'm expecting to have SSS working at some point if I want to use it in production. The current SSS is based on which research paper?

benco
the documentation is talking about parameters that aren't available anymore
Are you looking at the Houdini plugin docs? If so, could you please point to mismatched information?

In the Houdini plugins docs, there's nothing about the shaders in general, so I look on the uber shader part that is supposed to be for all the version (I guess) : https://radeon-pro.github.io/RadeonProRenderDocs/en/uber/subsurface.html [radeon-pro.github.io]

benco
I was not able to find something comprehensive, but I found an internal list of issues from unit tests:
* Phong material not working. 
    we have no plan to add this. Lets drop this.

* image filter ( FILTER_BOX , FILTER_TRIANGLE , FILTER_GAUSSIAN ... )  not implemented.
    will add

* same for all post effects / composites.

* SSS , Volumetric not working. let me know when implemented on NS side, so I can start the tests on RPR.
    WIP target is 2.02.2

* "transparentbackground" not implemented on NS.
    need to think

* I see several issues around 2 sided materials. especially about emissive. Is it supposed to be implemented on NS ?  I would need to check again binding with RPR.
    this is a bug :  RPRNEXT-665: issues with 2 sided emission materialTO DO 

* MATERIAL_NODE_LOOKUP_UV1  not implemented on NS ?

* Value per vertex not implemented in NS.

* ability to enable or disable mipmap per image not working.  ( not bound to NS )   is it implemented on NS ?
    wont do

* changing Sampler type ( sobol random CMJ )   do we want to expose that in RPR API ?
    no. well switch to pmj targetting 2.02.2

* Ambient occlusion AOV not implemented on NS ?
    will do

* clipping plane not implemented in NS ?
    probably, not hearing much about this from user yet so not high priority

* AOV_OBJECT_GROUP_ID  not implemented in NS ?
    will do

* CAMERA_MODE_CUBEMAP  ;  CAMERA_MODE_CUBEMAP_STEREO
    probably not. lets see users reaction

Thanks for that list. Which place is the best to help drive the choices or priority? (Github, discord, here). A list like that (https://www.sidefx.com/faq/question/karma-vs-mantra/) or maybe a roadmap will be done on Github?

benco
I'm not sure we have to worry about the bad geometry case. But anyway, can you share the bad geometry case? I will take a look

I don't think either but it took me some time to realize the geometry was the problem. Here is the obj file and the hip file.
http://threedscans.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Dark_Finger_Reef_Crab.obj.zip [threedscans.com]

Cheers

Attachments:
crabe_bad_geo.hip (367.7 KB)

40 posts
Actually, it is not about geometry at all but how Houdini imports mesh with/without the clean node.

With the clean node:

Without the clean node:

As you can see, for some reason, without the clear node there is HdPoints primitive. This primitive has no radiuses and material that's why it's rendered with the default radius 0.5 and pink color.
Edited by hshakula - April 20, 2021 18:34:40

Attachments:
w_clean.png (2.2 MB)
wo_clean.png (2.3 MB)

35 posts
Hmmm, that's a little bit weird good catch. I was more focused on getting the SSS working.
236 posts
that's not got to do with how Houdini imports geometry though.
Those points are disconnected from the mesh, which points to the mesh being not checked/cleaned when it
was authored. This is annoying common in scanned geometry.
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
7 posts
Is there an easy way to render .rpr to .exr on Windows, cant figure out a way. I am not dev but would really like to try this. Thank you.
40 posts
PeterMandk
Is there an easy way to render .rpr to .exr on Windows, cant figure out a way. I am not dev but would really like to try this. Thank you.

The only way to render .rpr files is to use RprsRender utility. You can get it here - https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/RadeonProRenderSDK/blob/master/RadeonProRender/binWin64/RprsRender64.exe [github.com]

This is command line tool, so let me know if you need help.

I know that there are services that allow you to run this utility on the cloud. For example, renderpool.net.

But if you just want to render locally I would advise to use husk or usd render rop
7 posts
Installed yesterday, huge fun for us unhappy Mac users w/o NVidia gpus, please kindly accept my gratitude for making it available for Solaris 😊

However just can't figure out the way to pass point/prim/vertex color properties. Could please someone point me to the right direction?
Thanks 😊
22 posts
ubcsdelta
Installed yesterday, huge fun for us unhappy Mac users w/o NVidia gpus, please kindly accept my gratitude for making it available for Solaris 😊

However just can't figure out the way to pass point/prim/vertex color properties. Could please someone point me to the right direction?
Thanks 😊

I'd be really interested on this.
Did you find out by any chance ?
Alessandro Pepe
http://www.alessandropepe.com [www.alessandropepe.com]
http://pepefx.blogspot.com [pepefx.blogspot.com]
  • Quick Links