Dealing with millions in Houdini view... or not _ RTX3090

1777   4   2
255 posts
Hola!

Still has issues on ym side im afraid hardly could work when up to few millions of polygons, above 30millions... This is indeed really drives me seriously nuts and just kills my productivity flow right now...

I simply can't put my different caching previously cooked all together... And they are not crazy heavy, but well optimized, no edge when not needed to sculpt a detail...

I have a ASUS Strix OC RTX 3090, latest NVIDIA Studio driver, nothing else excepted Houdini running... Has even crash when you maximize and minimize windows like the geo spreadsheet, or netview view, back to regular layout...

When im looking at Blender Eeve or Unreal, and how limited and the instability im facing now in Houdini, it's hard to be satisfy on this side... Hopefully Sidefx is listening

If someone has suggestion what could be the issue, if not a hard code houdini one, please shoot!
Im not sure the driver of my rtx 3090 is very friendly with houdini.. So many crach where i don't have so many polygons.. i remember dealing with complex geo and env , and have much less trouble.. Hummm
Edited by vinyvince - May 4, 2021 11:55:35

Attachments:
styleB_patern_B_mergedfragment_for_tileA_unwrapped_4.PNG (1.5 MB)
ringstation_Houdiniprocedural_cracksedges_Rnd.PNG (45.4 KB)
ringstation_Houdiniprocedural_detailpieces_variantes4_Rnd2.PNG (356.6 KB)
styleB_patern_B_preview_tile02unwrapped.PNG (1.9 MB)
ringstation_detailspiece_styleB1.PNG (514.4 KB)
21april_5.PNG (545.8 KB)

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
100 posts
I also use an 3090 but a founder edition and never have any issue with NVidia Studio drivers
- David
255 posts
It's not new, have experimenting this problem for few release new, but does someone else experimented qutie frequent crash when minimum and maximum windows interface, like spreadsheet or network view and back to regular layout workspace?

This kind of very frustrating thing which should not happen in a software of this class...
Happens even when i was nto using a rtx 3090 and before 18.5...
856 posts
Are you displaying alembics? I find that houdini is very slow when displaying abc files.
--
Jobless
255 posts
True, especially if you build the full hierarchy and your asset team included rigging and other node, maybe some intriquate ones coming from your other dcc application . It could create a massive network of nodes
  • Quick Links