Get/Set exposed HDA parameters with python in Unreal

3770   7   0
9 posts
I am trying to get/set exposed parameter values on a HoudiniAssetActor with python. So far, I tried actor.get_editor_property("my_parm") on the actor and its HoudiniAssetComponent, but without success.

Is it generally possible to do this with python and I am just not getting the parameter's name right?
Or is this only possible via C++?
If not possible via python as of now, are there plans for access to exposed parms via python in a future release?

Cheers for your answers!
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

We're currently putting the finishing touches to the plugin's public API.
It will let you change parameters, inputs, instantiate HDAs, etc... either from python/BP/c++

The API will be available in a few weeks (early June).
43 posts
Will we be able to set defaults per HDA on "Do Not Generate Outputs" and the other checkboxes in the Asset Options section? That would be very useful.
Staff
534 posts
You can already do that via detail generic property attributes, but yes the API will give you access to most of the Houdini Asset Component's property.

If you wanted to use an attribute, you could add i@unreal_uproperty_Outputless = 1 on the HDA's details.
43 posts
I dropped that line by itself in an attribute wrangle, set it to Run Over "Detail", but it did not check the checkbox, or prevent the behavior. How should I set it up?
Edited by johnLIC - May 18, 2021 11:01:00
43 posts
dpernuit
You can already do that via detail generic property attributes, but yes the API will give you access to most of the Houdini Asset Component's property.

If you wanted to use an attribute, you could add i@unreal_uproperty_Outputless = 1 on the HDA's details.

Can anyone clarify how to do this?
1 posts
Any updates?
I have the same problem.
I can't get/set parameters from HoudiniAssetActor.
I found that Houdini_AssetActor has a get_editor_property function but it not working.
77 posts
Tokodboy
Any updates?
I can't get/set parameters from HoudiniAssetActor.
I found that Houdini_AssetActor has a get_editor_property function but it not working.

Please refer to this doc: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/unreal/apihda.html [www.sidefx.com]

You have to use the Wrapper class instead of Houdini Asset directly.
  • Quick Links