UE5 + Nanite = Perf Hit ?

3896   2   3
2 posts
Hi,

With all the buzz about UE5 and seeing that you already have a plugin for UE5 I was wondering how much it will affect Houdini Engine performance if all objects have 2 millions tris instead of some thousand when doing operations on those meshes? Any performance chart on how number or tris will affect how fast Houdini Engine generate/transform/etc those meshes? I assume that those process will be done on the original mesh and not on the nanite version.

Cheers
40 posts
I've just started playing around UE5 and V2 Engine, I was trying to see if I could enable Nanite through Uproperties attribute but with no joy, so for the moment the engine is still generating a normal static mesh (when set to raw mesh).

I'm thinking that with these super dense meshes you would want to be using a switch in your HDA to use your own proxy mesh(and also set to Houdiniproxy in the engine details panel) then for output switch to the dense mesh, bake out and manually convert to Nanite.

Just a thought at this early stage, I could be completely wrong
74 posts
I think using HE to point scatter those Nanite SM which are already imported in UE5 would be a great workflow to create stunning environment.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelvincai/ [www.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links