flame range

1263   2   1
224 posts
Hello

In the new combustion model for sparse pyro we have the new field flame. According to the docs there are 3 main things you can do at different stages of the flame field's range of 0-1. You can emit smoke, increase temperature, or cause expansion. The docs say this:

"For example, you may want reactants that release a lot of temperature as they are "young", then start emitting soot as they are used up. Assuming flame is being sourced with a value of 1, you can accomplish this by setting the Flame Range under Temperature to 0.5-1, so that reactants generate a temperature output throughout the first half of their life. The Flame Range under Smoke can be set to 0.1-0.4 and remapped using a hill ramp. Then reactants will leave smoke behind during that part of their life; as long as the Flame Ramp evaluates to 0 at both of its endpoints, soot will be generated only within the specified Flame Range."

My question is does this actually work? I am trying to emit smoke only when the heat field has low values like 0.05 - 0.2. I want my sim to have fire then smoke once it cools down. But it doesn't matter what my settings are smoke is emitted at every value in the flame range.

Look at my photo, I have my flame range set to very low values, I would expect smoke to only be emitted where the flame is low. I tried everything, I tried cranking values in every imaginable way, but it seems to not really work. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
fakey2.jpg (176.2 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
7762 posts
Technically all of the fire is also smoke. Fire is glowing soot. The flame field also has values that go to zero everywhere because it has an edge where no more flame is--so it will always emit everywhere except inside where it has higher values. To get the look more like the left side, you can reduce the total emission amount and also try changing from add to maximum for the merge mode.
224 posts
thanks
Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links