How to make Vellum behave like really light stiff material?

3561   7   4
337 posts
I've been challenged a couple of times to get Vellum to behave that is:
- stiff
- light/thin
- which pre-bent shape should not be immediately lost but still interacts on collisions.

Like a gift wrap ribon or paper.

I keep upping the constrains stiffness (and iterations in the solver), lowering the mass on a low-res mesh and still not behaving as such a lot of the times.
Only if I mess with Gravity I get something that resembles the behavior in slomo. But my mass is already at 1e-14.

Damping is also a conundrum. I would like this sort of material to not be very jiggly at all but come to a rest very fast. But if I up the damp in the stiffness it gets more stretchy and deforming that if I keep it very low (but then it keeps shaking). My goal would be to have a material that is interacted with and quickly loses the forces applied on it.

Scene attached when I'm trying to have a paper strip not to be have like cloth.
Thanks for any pointers.

Edited by probiner - June 15, 2021 14:58:43

Attachments:
Vellum_Light_paper.hiplc (476.5 KB)

678 posts
Hey probiner,

good point, I would like to know that, too!

Cheers
CYTE
337 posts
CYTE
Hey probiner,

good point, I would like to know that, too!

Cheers
CYTE

Substeps: 9
Constraint Iterations: 3333
Velocity Damping: 0.5

This made it happen for me, but would be nice to know if there's a better way to sort this on the constrain side of things more because tunig global solver settings to achieve a specific material/behavior profile on an item will probably fall short when you have multiple items of different material/behavior profiles going into the solver.

Cheers
678 posts
Hey probiner,

thanks for sharing your settings. Yea would be great to get this behavior without the need to increase the substeps that much.
But it seems to be the only way.

Cheers
CYTE
555 posts
solver 4 substeps, default 100 Const Iter...I'm not saying this is the result you want tho, just foolin' around.

(while I'm at it, cannot stand people who are so preeeeeeeeeecious about uploading their files, my god...as if we...the helpers are not good enough to look at their RnD files...pffft)

(you can use the group pin in the edge transport instead of manual selection, I forgot to change, is all)
Edited by vusta - June 18, 2021 01:01:21

Attachments:
vu_vellumribbon.hipnc (493.9 KB)
ribbon.gif (3.0 MB)

337 posts
vusta
solver 4 substeps, default 100 Const Iter...I'm not saying this is the result you want tho, just foolin' around.
Yeah this is not what I was after given then wobbly behavior but there's other materials it will be perfect for. Thanks

vusta
(while I'm at it, cannot stand people who are so preeeeeeeeeecious about uploading their files, my god...as if we...the helpers are not good enough to look at their RnD files...pffft)
Unsure what led to this comment I've uploaded the file in the first post and mentioned the parameter changes that made the behavior happen for me. That said there's plenty of taking ideas out of the community and reintroducing them as part of a repo or a commercial tutorials without attribution. Plus there's more readers than helpers in any public setting.

Cheers
Edited by probiner - June 18, 2021 08:57:35
555 posts
probiner
vusta
Yeah this is not what I was after given then wobbly behavior but there's other materials it will be perfect for. Thanks

vusta
Unsure what led to this comment I've uploaded the file in the first post and mentioned the parameter changes that made the behavior happen for me. That said there's plenty of taking ideas out of the community and reintroducing them as part of a repo or a commercial tutorials without attribution. Plus there's more readers than helpers in any public setting.

Cheers
nah definitely not having a go at you since you shared your file, it was a general comment at anyone who wants solutions to their problem but don't want to disclose their precious intellectual property.

Want something but give out nothing...great mindset.
405 posts
vusta
Want something but give out nothing...great mindset.

It's a bit uncalled for. Not everybody is at liberty to upload their work file for obvious indeed intellectual properties of the conttent they do not always own themselves (employers, NDA, etc)... or simply perhaps are a bit shy of the mess they created in their files. But mainly, reason number 1 for me for instance, simply can not attach files that require a bunch of assets or are simply too big to upload with just not enough time on my hands to create a light version for the sake of getting help on the forum. And in my book, any of the above is a good enough reason to not upload... while still kindly and humbly be allowed to ask for help. Those assumptions of yours that they are "precious" and so on... i feel is a bit far "stretched and a bit stiff" imo... and i sure hope you noticed what i just did there ahahahah.

That said... WTH is the deal with Vellum and stiffness gazzilionesque values that have literally zero influence on the end result of the sim?!

Attached is an embarassingly boring RnD file i'd so very appreciate you taking a look at and telling me why i can't get those silly petals to behave with more stiffness without having to use an insane of substeps.... knowing in the end i'll have to sim 1000s of them. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 10, 2021 12:07:17

Attachments:
Petals_RnD_01.hiplc (714.1 KB)

• Quick Links