Game object pivot instead of centroid

3390   4   1
13 posts
Hi.

I've trying to get the pivot that's used by the gameobject in unity inside of houdini via object merges.

I thought i'd need to pack the merged reference but that's giving me a centroid of the object instead of the pivot

Is there a way to get the pivot points?

Thanks
Edited by kypo - July 2, 2021 11:25:25

Attachments:
Unity.png (326.0 KB)
houdini.png (430.6 KB)

100 posts
By default, Unity uses the centered pivot point rather than the pivot in the geometry. See: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PositioningGameObjects.html [docs.unity3d.com] . So you can either try toggiling the Unity pivot gizmo or move your object relative to the world origin (0,0,0).
13 posts
Hey.

In my example the different geomerty is nested under a gameobject that acts as the pivot. This parent game object is used as the Unity_Mesh reference that feeds into the object merge node. I thought the merged geometry would use the transform location of the specified game object.

Attachments:
UnityRef.png (924.1 KB)

100 posts
The plugin recursively finds the valid inputs of the gameObject that you input and then marshall data into Houdini one by one if they are valid. In this case, it will ignore your parent "pivot" gameObject. I'm not entirely sure if this will help, but have you tried playing around with the "Keep World Transform" or the "Pack Geometry Before Merging" options?
Edited by anthonyt2 - July 7, 2021 17:43:35
13 posts
Thanks Anthony. I think what i'm looking to do isn't possible but I have a work around. It's good to know about
The plugin recursively finds the valid inputs of the gameObject that you input and then marshall data into Houdini one by one if they are valid.
as it'll help with refine the work around. Thanks for the insight.
  • Quick Links