HDAs from different versions of Houdini behaving differently

1012   0   0
1 posts
I have built 2 HDA's that are, within Houdini, exactly the same with regards parameters, Type properties etc.

One fails to work in a TOPnet HDA Processor and the other works fine. I built the second one to step through my build of the first to debug whatever problem is stopping the original from working and eventually ended up with a duplicate.

The only differences between them is:

1. They have different names
2. A diff of the files shows significant binary differences, mostly after the XML "</shelfDocument>" (Indie Houdini appears to not allow conversion of HDA to text so I'm not sure what the binary data is).

My questions are:

Are these HDA's different because they were built in different versions of Houdini? The one that fails was built in Houdini 18.5.499 and the one that works was built in 18.5.596 (both on same machine).

If this is the case can the old one be updated from whatever it is using from Houdini 18.5.499 to the newer 18.5.596 version of Houdini?

I'm not entirely convinced these questions are valid, I'd expect the nodes in the HDA's to use whatever the current definition of each node is in the version of Houdini they are running in. If this is the case then what is making the differences between the files that is making one work and the other fail in a TOPnet and how may I update the older one?

----

The reason this is important to me is I have a lot of other HDA's that also fail, presumably for the same reason, that are all very similar within Houdini using the Labs Tor Processor on different Gaea Tor files. My intent was to find the problem then apply the same fix to each of the other HDA's, not rebuild them all from scratch if I can help it.

Thanks!

Win 10
Houdini 18.5.596

Attachments:
gaea_height_base_wide.hdalc (22.0 KB)
tor_proc_test.hdalc (22.0 KB)

• Quick Links