Differences with Skeleton mirror and rig pose mirror

1666   2   2
282 posts
I was trying to do a simple task of mirroring an animation on a characters arm to the other side. I had come up with one solution and Matt Estela with another. It seems that the Skeleton mirror does what I actually need and the rigpose mirror is off, but it also seems that according the the documentation, in this case, one should use a rigpose mirror. I would have expected their end results to be the same, but they are actually very off.

I've provided a hip with explanation, would be great to get some insight to see if this is behaving as expected ?

Thanks,

Attachments:
mirror_arm_comparison_v003.hip (1.6 MB)

Oliver Hotz
Origami Digital
Author of ODTools for Houdini: https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=66 [origamidigital.com]
22 posts
Hey Oliver,

Setting the 'group' on the Rig Mirror Pose should give you want you expect (or at least it gives the same result as the Skeleton Mirror in that scene).

Have a look at the attached hip file and see if it makes sense. The group on the Rig Mirror Pose specifies which points you want to modify - whilst the computation of mirroring (and the creation of the 'mirrorpt' attribute) is always done across the whole skeleton.

As a little note for clarity, the purpose of the Skeleton Mirror is to 'create' new joints - whilst the Rig Mirror Pose is there to modify existing joints transforms. The behaviour you saw before was down to the left arm getting the right arm's and the right arm getting the left arm's pose - setting the group parm is what limits this.

I hope that makes things clearer,

Henry

Attachments:
mirror_arm_comparison_v003_fix.hip (1.6 MB)

282 posts
Thank you very much for taking the time and making this clear. Works great now !
Oliver Hotz
Origami Digital
Author of ODTools for Houdini: https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=66 [origamidigital.com]
  • Quick Links