Pose Space deform in Kinefx

1623   4   1
134 posts
Hi there,
Is anyone aware of a way to do pose space deformation in kinefx?
the pose difference node does not currenly work with kinefx and i would love to be able to get it working.
62 posts
What problem are you running into? The Pose Difference VOP works for me. I haven't played with the SOP as much.

Below is a file that uses the Pose Difference to calculate the rotation of a foot controller and then adds a portion of that rotation to the forearm driver.

My apologies for the somewhat overly complicated example file. It's from a larger file I was working on yesterday and what I had handy.

This isn't a pose space deformation per se, but it's not exactly clear what problem you're running into. The difference could be used to drive a deformation using blend shapes. Haven't tried adapting the old Pose Deformation SOPs yet, sorry.

But attach a file and it'll be easier to troubleshoot.
Edited by made-by-geoff - July 30, 2021 16:40:17

Attachments:
pose-difference.hiplc (420.5 KB)

madebygeoff.com
38 posts
There is an example here starting around 17:21

The basic idea is to use a blend shape node to blend between mesh sculpts, where the blend alpha is driven by e.g. joint rotations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvBN60BJBsg&t=1041s [www.youtube.com]
62 posts
Exactly. Though that video is (he admits himself) pretty hard to follow in that section. But the idea is there.

Here's a quick demo of the same idea with possibly the ugliest arm deformation ever made, but you get what you pay for...

Instead of using the pose difference node or the rotation matrix, I just hacked something fitting the dot product of the wrist and elbow to give me a value of 0 at the rest position and something that approaches 1 as we get closer to 90-degree. That then drives the blend shape node. You'd want something a little fancier for production, but this gets the idea across.

I still need to dive into the pose deform nodes and see if they can work with kineFX rigs.

Attachments:
pose_deform_v01.hipnc (157.1 KB)

madebygeoff.com
62 posts
Also just discovered the "pose angle" VOP, which would be helpful in the set up above. A simpler node than the pose difference.
madebygeoff.com
  • Quick Links