...attribute instancers need to be in a separate Part...

2408   5   1
44 posts
Hi!

In order to be detected properly, attribute instancers need to be in a separate Part of the Geometry. Attribute instancer won't be detected if the points that they are assigned to is part of the main geometry.

Can someone explain, what does it mean? I tried to assign my points with "unreal_instance" string attribure into seperate output with index 1, but Unreal never populates any instances ;____;
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

What that means is that if you add the "unreal_instance" point attribute to a mesh's points, then the plugin will ignore them, as it will consider the output geometry to be a mesh, not an instancer.

If you want to create an instancer using the points of an existing mesh, you should try to use the add/extract all points SOP to only keep the mesh's points, then add the attribute.
9 posts
Yeah the docs on instancing are cryptic at best. I did the same and took that as needing a separate output.
37 posts
To expand on that.. When I want to output a generated mesh as well as some instancers. How would I keep them separate for the plugin to understand?
Pack the main geo and merge with the instancer points?! Is that the way to go?
37 posts
Phew, kinda solved the issue I had. Rotations on the instancers weren't passed on to unreal correctly. Seams like the order in which you merge the instancers with the main geo is relevant? Merging the main geo in last solved the rotation issue for me
9 posts
As a matter of fact, I had the same issue. The solution was really simple tho: instead of using the "merge" node, use the "merge packed". This allows to merge everything as a packed geometry, with all the attributes (including the unreal_instances and unreal_materials) working.

However, keep in mind that this should be done in the last step of your geoometry, since the output packed geometry won't have any attributes (if I understand correctly, the merge packed node does a "baking" on the attributes before mergin the geometries).
  • Quick Links