How to use Optix7

3294   7   2
6 posts
Hi,

when I am trying to "Download Nvidia Optix Denoiser", I get a message that I do not need to install it as Optix7 is already present. This is triggered by the code below.

But when I am trying to render, I can neither use the Optix Denoiser in the preview render (it is simply grayed out) nor has the setting the "Pixel Filter" in a mantra out node to "denoise optix -a basecolor" any effect.

How can I make use of Optix7? Or do I still need to install Optix5?

def _checkOptix7():
    p = subprocess.Popen(["hgpuinfo"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
    text = p.communicate()[0]
    text = text.decode()
    optix7 = False
    for l in text.splitlines():
        if l.startswith('OpenGL Version:'):
            version = l.split()
            if version[-2] == 'NVIDIA':
                dots = version[-1].split('.')
                if len(dots) == 2:
                    optix7 = (dots[0] >= '435')
            break
    if not optix7:
        return True

pressed = hou.ui.displayMessage(
            '''This machine seems to be running a recent version of the NVIDIA driver with Optix7 support.\nThere is no need to download the Optix5 denoiser.\nAre you sure you want to continue?''',
            ("Yes", "No"),
            default_choice=1)
    return pressed == 0
Edited by Grische - Feb. 12, 2021 07:45:37

Attachments:
houdini_optix7_message.png (12.0 KB)
houdini_optix7_missing.png (15.7 KB)

31 posts
if your Optix still there from previous version. You can add back the link optix from houdini.env
HOUDINI_NVIDIA_OPTIX_DSO_PATH = C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/houdini17.5\optix
into new Houdini, it still works. But for 7 I don't know. Waiting for someone reply you.
73 posts
Did you figure this out? Where you able to render out a sequence? I got it to work with optix 5 but i can only render a single frame when I try to a sequence it just renders the first frame and stops.
1 posts
Optix speeds it up because it is only enabled in rtx cards and they use hardware ray tracing acceleration (RTX cores) available on those cards. It will speed up your 1060 also when it will be available but since you do not have rtx cores on your card that speed bump will not be that big. You will probably not notice it. Optix is another nvidia platform made specifically for render works.
spice money b2b [spicemoneylogin.in] myfiosgateway login [myfiosgateway.one]
Edited by kameshbhai32 - Sept. 7, 2021 07:16:33
73 posts
Yeah ....that wasn't the question though.
6 posts
jumax
Did you figure this out? Where you able to render out a sequence? I got it to work with optix 5 but i can only render a single frame when I try to a sequence it just renders the first frame and stops.

Unfortunately not. Either there is something wrong with my setup or the Optix detection. I stopped debugging and simply decided to use Optix 5 again.

I don't remember having any issues with sequences. How are you rendering them?
73 posts
Just render to disk directly from a ROP. I also realised I have this issue of it only rendering a single frame when I use Intel Denoiser as well. I am not sure what's going on, I am just rendering with a bit of noise and might try something in post.

I wonder if the optix 7 is there because of the redshift installation. But I couldn't find it in the installation folder.
1 posts
I am also facing the same situation. It's really bad that I can't find the solution. Anyway, thank you very much for the positive feedback
Vampire Survivors [vampire-survivors.io]
Edited by mayomayo72218 - Sept. 1, 2023 03:16:10
  • Quick Links