volumetric noise falloff not acting they way I want

1527   4   1
22 posts
I'm currently experimenting with volumetrics and falloff. In this specific example I made a simple falloff on the Z-axis and added basic noise. Whatever solution I come up with, I can't actually get what I want. I want to basically have no noise affecting the density when density is 1 (or higher). Is there a way to get this right?

Edited by rove - Oct. 2, 2021 06:45:35

Attachments:
noise_faloff.png (554.6 KB)

670 posts
Try the min function instead:

f@density = min(z, n);
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
8538 posts
you are trying to multiply with noised values, even if you add your ramp to the noise, its still gonna vary using the noise values
like 0.1 + 1 = 1.1
0.5 + 1 = 1.5

so instead you can blend the noise and density using your ramp, which will make sure that where the ramp is 1 you get clean input density and where its 0 you'll get full noise values:
f@density = lerp(basicNoise, f@density, zDensity);
Edited by tamte - Oct. 2, 2021 12:44:28
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
22 posts
tamte
you are trying to multiply with noised values, even if you add your ramp to the noise, its still gonna vary using the noise values
like 0.1 + 1 = 1.1
0.5 + 1 = 1.5

so instead you can blend the noise and density using your ramp, which will make sure that where the ramp is 1 you get clean input density and where its 0 you'll get full noise values:
f@density = lerp(basicNoise, f@density, zDensity);

Thanks for the clarification! This makes me feel like I should have just paid more attention during math classes way back at school. It's never too late though ;-).
22 posts
Konstantin Magnus
Try the min function instead:

f@density = min(z, n);

I'll give it a try!
  • Quick Links