AMD Ryzen Cooling

5959   20   4
39 posts
Hi everyone. I'm. sure that someone here has Ryzen latest gen. I was wondering what type of cooling do you use. Either Air or Water ? I'm sure cpu will heat a lot during the sims or render so I was wondering if Air cooler will be enough. I'm a bit sceptical about water cooling for the reason of reliability but I'm not sure Air will give enough performance to keep cpu cool. I got Ryzen9 x5950
159 posts
Hello, i would add to this, if someone with 5900x can share the experience with it in terms of cooling, and maybe motherboard also?

Maxpayne, what motherboard you went with your x5950?
39 posts
I've got Asus TUF gaming x570 plus
172 posts
Hi, I tested my 5950x in a battle of heavy water sims, works fine and I'm happy with it.
I use this all in one CPU water cooler: https://www.arctic.de/en/Liquid-Freezer-II-360/ACFRE00068A [www.arctic.de]
The motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
Edited by Ivan L - Sept. 20, 2021 01:07:42

Attachments:
Core_Temp_gG26ltT8oJ.png (30.4 KB)

I contribute to the beauty of this world
76 posts
maxpayne
I'm a bit sceptical about water cooling for the reason of reliability but I'm not sure Air will give enough performance to keep cpu cool

AIOs have such a low failure rate, that it's not even worth mentioning.
The CPU clocks down when the max temp is reached (limit set by AMD), so the better the cooling solution, the more the CPU will be able to stay at the highest clock speed possible based on your BIOS settings (OC / no OC).

I'm on a Ryzen 9 5950X with Cooling Liquid Freezer II - 420, Asus Dark Hero X570
I get 30k in Cinebench R23.
63 posts
I have a 3900X with a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler. Mine seems to handle the cpu rendering without any problem. I can get a CPU stress test to max it out and reduce the mhz but never in actual rendering.
250 posts
Running a 5950x with an ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer II 280mm in a Fractal Design Define 7 Compact silent case, I set it up for 70c max, works really well even on full load, I went the liquid way because I wanted a silent workstation, and mine is pretty much silent, I only hear a buzz on full load!

Edited by GCharb - Sept. 24, 2021 10:21:20
238 posts
running a TR 3995wx here with a bigass heatsink and one 140mm noctua cooler. The highest I've got it heat up was about 87 degrees. I believe they throttle at 90.
Changed the airflow a bit in my case and now its sits at around 78 even after hours of sim and/or rendering.
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
39 posts
I was wondering about Noctua air coolers since they have good reputation but eventually went with water corsair icue 280 pro. Temp. never got higher than 65 yet. Tried gaming and short sims but I believe after a few hours of sims or rendering it will be much warmer. Will see.
Edited by maxpayne - Sept. 26, 2021 13:50:10
159 posts
that corsair should keep it cool even on full load. It's not cheap anyway... i'm interested to hear how it went..
Edited by MilanB - Sept. 26, 2021 14:55:31
39 posts
Noctua NH-U12A which I was aiming for costs 140Cad approximately before tax. I got corsair for 169 before tax. Not a big difference really.
250 posts
Tower coolers like the Noctua will last forever, while AIO water coolers usually fail after 7–8 years, but they keep things way cooler from my experience and produce much less noise, a custom water loop with a separate pump is also a good solution, since the pump is what usually fails, in a custom loop the pump can easily be replaced; also, a custom loop usually keeps things even cooler than an AIO water cooler!
Edited by GCharb - Sept. 27, 2021 09:48:31
76 posts
GCharb
I set it up for 70c max

But you're leaving a lot of performance on the table that way. There's no point in limiting like this, not even if you were to keep it for 10 yrs. I have another system with an old i7 cpu and keep it heavily OC from day 1 and it's still alive and kicking.
Given that most of us in the 3d/ gaming/ other enthusiast domain, upgrade every few years, squeezing every last drop of performance makes the most sense.

This particular cpu of mine on the MB that I have scores around 25k in Cinebench R23 at default settings. If I overclock it (using "dynamic OC switcher" to not lose the PBO boosting, a feature only Asus Dark Hero has) I get 30k+ in Cb-R23. That's a whopping 20% performance increase!
Up to each of us, of course, I'm just saying...

Attachments:
5950x_CinebenchR23.jpg (299.7 KB)

250 posts
@citizen: Like I said, I want a silent workstation, I tested higher temps, but I had to setup the fans at a faster speed, and the noise was distracting, at the moment it does what I need, but I might go faster when I get into heavy simulations and rendering!
76 posts
That's a bit strange, that the 280mm version of Liquid Freezer II is noisy, compared to the 420mm which I'm assuming has the same fans, which I find to be very silent even in full load. Maybe my assumption is wrong.
250 posts
I control the fans from the bios, if I set them too high they actually make a huge amount of noise, I may make a few more tests next week-end and see if I can make things a bit better!
Edited by GCharb - Sept. 27, 2021 17:33:00
76 posts
My CPU fans' curve looks like this: 40°C - 20% RPM; 70°C - 60% RPM; 90°C - 100% RPM and it's very silent. I can hear the fans ramp up if I bow down to the case, otherwise, since I'm always listening to something in my headphones it makes no difference.
250 posts
citizen
My CPU fans' curve looks like this: 40°C - 20% RPM; 70°C - 60% RPM; 90°C - 100% RPM and it's very silent. I can hear the fans ramp up if I bow down to the case, otherwise, since I'm always listening to something in my headphones it makes no difference.
I just setup my bios with your settings, I can hear the fans on idle, but it's not too bad, will test on full load later on, thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I just ran Prime95 for 30 minutes, temp got to 90C, as expected, and as low as 27C when idle, which is pretty decent, and noise level was acceptable, I'll keep that setup for the time being, thanks again!
Edited by GCharb - Sept. 29, 2021 12:57:52
143 posts
citizen
I'm on a Ryzen 9 5950X with Cooling Liquid Freezer II - 420, Asus Dark Hero X570
I get 30k in Cinebench R23.

Thank you for sharing this. Very nice results! Single core is also better with OC? (Can you post result please?) Have you seen same results with the same hw, or you got a "lucky" chip?

I am waiting for the Intel 12900K, and then I have to decide, so any info is really valuable.
2 posts
Hello, I wanted to share my experience.

I'm using a Ryzen 9 5900x on a B550 Tomahawk MAG motherboard.

CPU is being cooled by an ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO air cooler.

My case is mid-tower with 2x140mm Arctic F14 intakes at the front and 1x120mm Arctic F12 exhaust at the rear.

I have an RTX 3080 in the system.

My max temps are 80 degrees Celsius on CPU and 70 on GPU; idle temps are 45 and 48 degrees respectively.

Fan RPM is limited to 70% to %75 on all fans up until these max temps.

I set the fans to go faster if any of these temps rise above 80 degrees. But they almost never do.

When idle, intake fans run at 20% RPM, exhaust runs at 25% RPM and CPU coolers run at 30% RPM. GPU fans stop completely.

This setup is utterly silent when idling and very quiet under max load.

I literally don't hear anything while turning on or while idling.

While rendering I tend to take a nap on my office couch. I have to look at the screen to tell if the operation is still going.

The case is not a silent padded case. It's a regular airflow case with mesh paneling. Nothing fancy.

I'm also using an old 750W Bronze rated PSU. I replaced its 140mm fan with the same Arctic F14 intake fans so I could PWM control the PSU fan to run silent.

Hope this was helpful.
  • Quick Links