Retarget CMU mocap tutorial by Luca Pataracchia question

2367   6   1
18 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to open the file provided by the RETARGET THE CMU MOTION CAPTURE DATABASE tutorial on the sidefx site.
I get an error from the mocap import node saying failed to open. I understand those files are supposed be downloaded and unzipped by the node but it looks like it's not working for me. I tried Houdini 18.5 and 19. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-16 174523.jpg (133.8 KB)

Staff
31 posts
so it looks like the looks like the construction of the file archive in http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/allasfamc.zip [mocap.cs.cmu.edu] has changed since I wrote this tutorial. Which is why this node can't find the files. If you did around the expanded archives directory structure you should be able to fine the files. As for running this in h19 it looks like there an issue in the TOP network. workitem expand is not creating work items properly. It might be a bug. I'll check into it and let you know.
Staff
31 posts
replacing the workitem expand with a file pattern TOP with the pattern parameter set to "$HIP/data/source-anim/*" is a temproary fix, but it looks like there's anther problem with the retargeted animation. I'll try and track that issue down too.
18 posts
Thanks for the response Luca! and thank you for making the effort to transfer your project to Houdini 19!
I will try it in 18.5 for now and let you know.

I appreciate the help!
Staff
31 posts
My sincere apologies for the delay. Attached you'll find a copy of the file that works in h19. There's a bug in workitem expand that requires us to set "generate when" to "each upstream item is cooked" in order for it to generate work items. This bug should be corrected shortly. Also it looks like h19 didn't like the values in /obj/manual_retarget/rigmatchpose2, so I created a new node rigmatchpose3. Seems to be working now. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Regards
Luca

Attachments:
h19_cmu_database_retarget_mb_v3.hip (1.7 MB)

18 posts
Hello Luca,

Thanks so much for taking the time and transferring your project to Houdini 19! I really appreciate it. But for some reason I can't get this to work on my end. I get some errors opening the file which I attached here. I couldn't find the asf and amc files so I downloaded them directly from the CMU Graphics Lab site and relinked all the skeleton and mocap files but then I get a distorted mesh . I might not have the correct asf and amc files, I just looked for the same numbers in the file names. You think that might be the problem?

Thanks again!

Daniel

Attachments:
Load_Log.txt (2.6 KB)

190 posts
Hello,

Here to say that using the FABRIK solver works allot better.
Edited by NicTanghe - Feb. 2, 2023 06:50:01
  • Quick Links