H19 unable to launch on Ubuntu 20.4 with Qt Error

7503   8   2
2 posts
Hi there,

We have two systems running Ubuntu 20.4.3 LTS and we're able to launch Houdini 18.5.633 without a problem on both.

I recently installed the latest Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on one system, and then Houdini 19.0.383, which then fails on launch with the following error;

"Qt Error: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb. "

The other system, without the Google Chrome install, was able to run H19.0.383 without a hitch.

Even when trying to run 'hkey', there is the following error;

"qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb."

Aborted (core dumped)

I'd not seen anything when googling the error, but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this or knew of a fix. I've emailed support@sidefx.com but no reply yet.

Thanks very much,

Stuart Ramsden

Visualization Programmer
National Computational Infrastructure (NCI)
The Australian National University
117 posts
For the record, this was fixed with "sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0".
2 posts
I have same error on Debian and houdini 19.5 any solution?, thanks
Edited by jorgemorales3d - Nov. 6, 2022 01:59:39

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2022-11-06 00-57-26.png (33.7 KB)

1 posts
I had a problem like that and I solved installing the qt6.
Staff
464 posts
You shouldn't need to install Qt yourself as Houdini bundles it in. Did you try to install the package that Drew mentioned? It's possible that when you installed Qt it installed it as a dependency.
4 posts
drew
For the record, this was fixed with "sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0".

Know this thread is a bit old but ran into the same issue on h20 and linux ubuntu 23.10, this solved the issue for me as well! Thanks!
2 posts
Colemapt
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0
Same: I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 23.10 and the Launcher won't run without that additional apt-get.
54 posts
Try followings:
sudo apt install libxcb-icccm4
sudo apt install libxcb-image0
sudo apt install libxcb-keysyms1
sudo apt install libxcb-render-util0
sudo apt install libxcb-cursor0
sudo apt-get install -y libxcb-xinerama0-dev
Staff
464 posts
We are in the process of updating the system requirements page, however the full list for Ubuntu is:

libgl1
libglu1-mesa
libglx0
libice6
libopengl0
libsm6
libx11-6
libx11-xcb1
libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-image0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-randr0
libxcb-render-util0
libxcb-render0
libxcb-shape0
libxcb-shm0
libxcb-sync1
libxcb-util1
libxcb-xfixes0
libxcb-xinerama0
libxcb-xkb1
libxcb1
libxext6
libxkbcommon-x11-0
libxkbcommon0
libxt6

You can install them with the following command:
sudo apt install libgl1 libglu1-mesa libglx0 libice6 libopengl0 libsm6 libx11-6 libx11-xcb1 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-image0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-sync1 libxcb-util1 libxcb-xfixes0 libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-xkb1 libxcb1 libxext6 libxkbcommon-x11-0 libxkbcommon0 libxt6
Edited by johnmather - April 7, 2024 01:37:02
  • Quick Links