One mutation every frame and a Vellum sim needed but ..?

1854   8   2
255 posts
Hello

Im having issue with Vellum. Im generating a bot every frame (at keeping the seed at frame level is easy for me to quickly check my algorithm) and for my cable network this time i will like to run a vellum sim. I could make it work if i freeze the time no issue there. Now i was hoping the Quasistatic mode will take care of one the input frame is feed, it could run the sim from that without trying to read my input anymore...
That's doesn't work. It only doing this if i dive inside and disable 'Timeless no history' but in the case, it's like no vellum simulation .

Your suggestion will be really welcomed, start to drive me nuts, cheers guys

Edited by vinyvince - Dec. 6, 2021 14:03:44

Attachments:
headprocedural_punk_houdini3_vince_OpenGL_reduce_turn2.gif (15.0 MB)

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
43 posts
very cool but what are you asking? to sim the leather coat? or "cables" (dont see any) on the bots face? your gif does not really explain?
255 posts
Hey thanks

Oh the cables are not in the GIF. I need to run a vellum simulation every frame, knowing that every frame i have a new mutation. So i need to find a way to tell vellum to be time dependant in way; or to use a clever trigger to lock the upstream history from cooking...

I tried to explain better above, apparently not clear enough
43 posts
I may be confused, but you want to basically create procedural bots, then have a sim for cables per bot? (like connected to them? what about the jacket?)

Why not use TOPS to wedge out each bot and then sim?

I assume you mean like a few seconds sim, per bot, where the cables are moving?

And this gif is not your final animation, where you actually want a sim to change every few frames based on the head as it rotates?
Edited by HM_2020 - Dec. 7, 2021 17:33:39
255 posts
Yes, with PDG and wedge, you right, i know i will not have this trouble and the seed will be independent from the Time. Now When using time for seed, not not random seed value in TOP, all the seed could be linked with a logic flow, think animated noise for example... And then it's handy to quickly move the timeframe and see how your mutation change, stay consistent or break...

Make sense?
43 posts
Nope, because still have no clue what you want from Vellum... :P
255 posts
Thanks for trying at least

I m generating one variation for every frame, slow transformation mutation depending on time, so i using Frame and not a random Seed value in PDG.

Now i also need a vellum sim for each mutation, so each frame.

How could i force vellum to not try to read my input every frame. I thought the Quasistatic mode will do that, but not what i could see excepted if i dive inside and change to "timeless no history" but in the case , vellum doesn't do its job too...

I looked the vellum brush network, it using some stash. Is there a way in python to dynamically stash a geo and unstash it after. Or do you have one solution ?

Im sure it should have a simple one, just can't figure it out... i was thinking of using a trigger attribute with a switch ...

Idea, illumination, suggestion , i take everything !
43 posts
vinyvince
Now i also need a vellum sim for each mutation, so each frame.
ok and again, what does that mean?! you want some sort of preroll for the cables to settle into a position? for a jacket? how long of a vellum sim? you mean like the Drape node, each time a random character is made?
again why not just bake out 100 frames of random characters, and just do a vellum sim per character?
I still am not sure what vellum sim you need?
255 posts
I make it work. I recreate the vellum solver SOP and well finally use PDG with the quasistatic mode and an additional de-intersection/ solver.

Still have to see how to select a range of value and only wedge parameters with a n step value, like 1-5-10-15.
Obviously you could use a list. Probably i have to add another TOP node after to filter the wedge value cooked and keep only the want i m interested.. Not sure, PDG is a vast planet

thanks
  • Quick Links