how to hang objects from wires?

6731   8   1
537 posts
I can't seem to find a straitforeward way to do this, very easy thing to do in reactor. I just want a few wind-chimes hanging from wires … so the tip of the wire has to be constrained to the cylinder, and the cylinder has to be constrained to the wire.

I'm having a bit of trouble as to what type of constraints to use, or what type of merge/mutual/ etc relationship the objects should have … any tips or advice?
537 posts
no one knows how to hang RBDs from wires? I can't believe it would be a very difficult task, I'm sure I'm approaching it incorrectly, after quite a few hours of trial and error I'm just not sure which direction to take.

Does anyone have a suggestion or could at least point in the right direction?
639 posts
there should be some pin constraint you can use on it. I believe there's quite a few examples of these if you look under constraint helpcard..
Staff
327 posts
andrewlowell
I just want a few wind-chimes hanging from wires … so the tip of the wire has to be constrained to the cylinder, and the cylinder has to be constrained to the wire.

I'm having a bit of trouble as to what type of constraints to use, or what type of merge/mutual/ etc relationship the objects should have … any tips or advice?

If the wires are always taut and do not collide with other objects, you may want to use RBD objects and spring constraints for the whole system. Spring constraints with non-zero rest length would represent the wires. No merges are necessary if you use the RBD Fractured Object DOP.
537 posts
cool thanks, I'll give those a shot … yeah I tried lots of ways to constrain the wires, didn't look into using RBD's for the wires though.
56 posts
Hi Andrew!
Glad to see u @ Siggraph. Could you check out this file? It's a RBD object constrained to a wire that is already constrained.

HTHs!

Alvin

Attachments:
rbdWireSim.hip (130.8 KB)

537 posts
Hi Alvin,

Yeah I realy enjoyed your dynamics class. This is definately a start, I can't seem to stop it from freaking out when two of them collide but I think once I look into the forces and constraints order it might work.

thanks a bunch!
453 posts
Have you ever managed it, to make it stop freaking out?
9 posts
i also want to simulate this kind of things using wire and object and Matt explains it well on his web https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=ConstraintNetworks [www.tokeru.com]
  • Quick Links