FBX animation and Fur!

1386   4   0
35 posts
Hi all,

Happy New Year BTW.

So I've started to really invest a lot of time inside Houdini these days but I also like to keep my hands on with various other applications. One such application is Blender as I mainly used it for sculpting purposes, but I'm looking at simple projects and I was most pleased with the outcome and using EEVEE to rapidly get animations out and at a decent quality.

I've attached this here as I'm trying to replicate the result in Houdini, I can see massive benefits utilising Houdini and it should just chomp through this type of work. However I keep hitting a bug, and it always seems to be based on mesh collision, but I really don't want to refactor the animation, and I'm not 100% certain it is down to the FBX animation data!?

Hopefully you'll see a link to the image highlighting the problem. I'm using the shelf tools and followed a "furryguy" tutorial just for this section, I want to learn grooming in my own time, but would love for the animation to work before getting heavily involved in such a process.

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

Many thanks

Scott
Edited by Pixelised - Jan. 12, 2022 13:22:39

Attachments:
HoudiniFUR_2022-01-12 18_19_23-Window.png (1.8 MB)

123 posts
Hard to tell without seeing it in motion. But have you tried to increase substeps on the sim, and see if it helps?
Edited by Heileif - Jan. 12, 2022 20:34:52
30 posts
Increase the substep
35 posts
Thanks both, I will try and record a video this evening, but it does seem that Skin Collision was the culprit here. Turning it off actually cause much of an issue in the way the fur reacts I would love to solve the problem properly, I have no idea why the tips of the fur when intersecting with geometry would cause a massive pulling effect.
123 posts
Pixelised
Thanks both, I will try and record a video this evening, but it does seem that Skin Collision was the culprit here. Turning it off actually cause much of an issue in the way the fur reacts I would love to solve the problem properly, I have no idea why the tips of the fur when intersecting with geometry would cause a massive pulling effect.

Maybe it's a scene scale issue. You should be able to jump into the dopnet and turn on the visibility on the collision objects that Houdini use internal in the sim. If the scene is to small, stuff can happen :p
  • Quick Links