how to add karma properties to an object?

1725   3   0
617 posts
i want to be able to add karma properties to a geometry node, before you could go to the spare parms, and from the render tab will be there, but i dont see Karma properties. is there a magic way to add the properties?

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/props/karma.html [www.sidefx.com]

i want to add
"
Render Curves As:
Houdini render property karma:object:curve_style
"
to just one object
(is there a way to do this with python?)

thanks guys, have a great day.
7759 posts
Karma properties can be added in LOPs/Solaris.

Although Houdini 19 added the 'Karma ROP' to render from obj networks, it's more of a stop gap solution that relies on python modules to translate from the obj world to usd. For more direct control within Houdini, set up the scene in Solaris using LOP nodes.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can write an husdobjtranslator python module for parsing geo properties as usd attributes.

Look in $HH/husdplugins/objtranslators for examples.
617 posts
i keep thinking that LOP is a completely different software. like having to prepare an object in maya, export and read it somewhere else.

i have to do my scene in Houdini, and then recreate everything in LOPs. would be great if we can prepare the scene in houdini so in lops context will grab all the stuff we need.

thanks.
7759 posts
pelos
i have to do my scene in Houdini, and then recreate everything in LOPs. would be great if we can prepare the scene in houdini so in lops context will grab all the stuff we need.

The karma rop is simply a wrapper for the scene import node. You could use this node as a starting point to import your objects into solaris, and then use LOPs to do the lighting and rendering. This way you would have access to light linking and creating custom karma render properties.
  • Quick Links