Packed Prims Sop to lops issue?

2803   7   2
21 posts
Hi, I'm trying to bring in a piece of packed geo (with multiple materials assigned) to LOPS from SOPS using the scene import node. Unpacked, it works as expected, but when I try packed it will only recognize one single material regardless of chosen instancing mode. Here is a quick scene with a simplified example of the problem, maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks

Attachments:
packedPrims_issue.hiplc (315.6 KB)

603 posts
I had to manually designate the materials to be brought into LOPs

Attachments:
packed_materials.jpg (221.9 KB)

Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
7741 posts
@Galleryworm, you should submit this as a bug.

It is also broken when importing packed geometry with materials assigned in sops (assigned after packing), in this case the materials are all imported, but the assignments are not.
Staff
451 posts
jsmack
you should submit this as a bug.

Yes, please do. 19.0 took us a big step forwards with Scene Import, but we missed some workflows. Right now I'm in auditing mode to see which workflows get reported and whether there's a common solution to them. I'm hopeful the future work will be backported to 19.0, but it may depend on the implementation. For example, right now all the material assignment in Scene Import is done with direct bindings, but perhaps collection-based bindings are more appropriate in some situations.
7741 posts
robp_sidefx
Yes, please do. 19.0 took us a big step forwards with Scene Import, but we missed some workflows. Right now I'm in auditing mode to see which workflows get reported and whether there's a common solution to them. I'm hopeful the future work will be backported to 19.0, but it may depend on the implementation. For example, right now all the material assignment in Scene Import is done with direct bindings, but perhaps collection-based bindings are more appropriate in some situations.

I noticed some issues with scene import and packed geometry that contains geomsubsets. When authored as USD native instances, the geomsubsets are created in the wrong layer, causing the 'reference' arc to not pick them up.

Packed prims with or without geomsubsets need a permutation sweep, as most variations are broken in some way.
21 posts
Thanks, everyone. Bug submitted.
603 posts
As Houdini moves more of its workflow into LOPs - I'm very concerned that there will be no demarcation between heavy lifting USD workflows, and what we're currently used to doing in SOPs.

I guess, said another way, will we always have the SOP Create LOP?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
Staff
451 posts
jsmack
I noticed some issues with scene import and packed geometry that contains geomsubsets. When authored as USD native instances, the geomsubsets are created in the wrong layer, causing the 'reference' arc to not pick them up.

Packed prims with or without geomsubsets need a permutation sweep, as most variations are broken in some way.

If you have some test scenes, please do send them. I've been focused on other things, but revisiting SceneImport again now.

EDIT: actually I think I can reproduce the "USD native instances" issue just using the scene from the initial post in this thread. For anything else, test scenes please & thanks!
Edited by robp_sidefx - Feb. 17, 2022 14:19:28
  • Quick Links