USD to point cloud with transforms

2250   3   3
83 posts
I have a USD scene (exported in Clarisse), and I am having trouble rebuilding the layout in Houdini.
The Clarisse layout references one alembic file that has all of the models and has multiple duplicates of parts of that alembic copied many times to make the overall layout. I can import the USD scene into Houdini just fine, but I want to convert each instance into a point that has the following:
- Transforms (TRS, I assume I could just use the "packedfulltransform" to find that)
- The alembic file and hierarchy path that each point is instancing

With this point cloud, I hope to rebuild the USD file using points that have all the attributes I need on them. I have tried using the Scene Graph to find this information, and have had no success.
Staff
451 posts
Are you able to share this scene (or a representative version of it)?
83 posts
Unfortunately, I cannot, but I can provide a sample snapshot of the USD scene graph. I have Make Instanceable turned on.

Attachments:
tc.PNG (600.7 KB)

Staff
4438 posts
That sounds a lot like what the LOP Import SOP would do, except that SOP would create USD packed primitives. But I think it's pretty easy to delete the packed prims and keep the points (after copying any data you want from the packed prims onto the points).
  • Quick Links