Linux distro with no problems running H19

7512   25   5
39 posts
Hey all,
I was just curious if there were any Linux users that have transitioned to H19 with little to no problems? I'm using the latest Fedora and while I love it I'd rather be able to run H19 with less problems. I've been through a few rounds of support and have it mostly working with the malloc-debug library but I get random crashes on launch (usually 3 at a time) and just in general it feels shaky. Running 19.0.524 daily and I have been watching the changelog religiously to see if there are any fixes pertaining to this.

I'm not trying to shame the devs or anything - Linux is so diverse and its super difficult to make something work with so many distros. It's really been amazing that it worked so well up until this point. Just gathering data to figure out if there are more stable fish in the sea.

Do older kernels work better? Maybe switch back to Rhel or rhel clone like alma? Seems like Ubuntu has some trouble too? Or does the opposite route work better, going full Arch?

What are you all running and has it been stable?
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
268 posts
Pop OS - I’m on 20.04 - h19 runs great
Edited by Neil78 - Feb. 15, 2022 17:24:37
Director @ Valkyrie Beowulf
www.vwulf.com
https://linktr.ee/neilrognvaldrscholes [linktr.ee]
39 posts
Neil78
Pop OS - I’m on 20.04 - h19 runs great
That's good to know! Are you running it with Nvidia?
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
268 posts
Yes - nvidia support is all part of installation - also full support for cuda and opencl - check out pop os web site - great os
Edited by Neil78 - Feb. 15, 2022 17:47:56
Director @ Valkyrie Beowulf
www.vwulf.com
https://linktr.ee/neilrognvaldrscholes [linktr.ee]
39 posts
Neil78
Yes - it all part of installation - full support for cuda and opencl - check out pop os web site - great os
Yeah, that's a plus for PopOS and Ubuntu for sure. Thanks for the reply!
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
464 posts
Debian Testing, currently with kernel 5.15 and NVIDIA 470.103.01 proprietary driver. So far, no major problems after upgrading to H19 (knocks on wood). Kernel version 5.16 was rolled out today, but I don't expect it to affect Houdini in any negative way.

I've been using Debian Testing with Houdini for many years, and throughout the time, I have not experienced any serious issues. Apart from an occasional crash of Houdini when I attempt to do something ridiculously silly with nodes.
39 posts
ajz3d
kernel 5.15 and NVIDIA 470.103.01 proprietary driver
Huh, that is interesting. And no libc-malloc problems - like you don't need to load it with libc_malloc_debug.so?
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
464 posts
No, but now I noticed that Debian Testing still uses glibc 2.33-5:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/glibc [tracker.debian.org]

And from what I see, problems start with glibc 2.34, which is currently in experimental repository.
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/81386/#post-350753 [www.sidefx.com]

So, I guess that in several months from today, I will be starting Houdini with libc_malloc_debug...
Edited by ajz3d - Feb. 16, 2022 14:24:22
135 posts
Hmmm I had totally unrelated issues with ubuntu 20.04 last year on my old desktop and was ready to look for something else. Would you say it has stabilized now? Also gnome have so much chrome on windows I had to run some hack to regain valuable desktop space.
Will curiosly follow this thread
39 posts
ajz3d
So, I guess that in several months from today, I will be starting Houdini with libc_malloc_debug...
Ha, I hope not.
That makes sense. I'm running glibc 2.34. So if I target a distro running 2.33 I should be ok - not sure why I didn't think of that.

I'm hoping the glibc stuff clicks into place in the next few versions.
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
464 posts
If you were to target Debian Stable, which is still on glibc 2.31-13, you would have about 2 years of boring stability, as none of the packages would get updated to their newer versions until stable becomes oldstable and next-stable (testing) becomes stable. The only updates you would get, are security patches.

Some newer package versions (like NVIDIA proprietary driver for instance /not sure if those backported include newer CUDA and Optix versions/) can be pulled from backports repository:
https://backports.debian.org/ [backports.debian.org]
https://backports.debian.org/changes/bullseye-backports.html [backports.debian.org]

Anthony Morrelle
I'm hoping the glibc stuff clicks into place in the next few versions.
Yes, I hope so too.
39 posts
ajz3d
If you were to target Debian Stable, which is still on glibc 2.31-13, you would have about 2 years of boring stability, as none of the packages would get updated to their newer versions until stable becomes oldstable and next-stable (testing) becomes stable. The only updates you would get, are security patches.
I used to run CentOS and got so bored with it... I might have to revisit my old friend though. (I'm a rhel guy through and through - debian based systems don't like me, at least as a workstation os). Too bad CentOS as I knew it doesn't exist anymore. I guess I have a few distros to test out

@filipw - I used to hate Gnome because of the huge titlebars, then I got a higher dpi monitor and everything is the right size, ha. Adwaita has gotten a bit nicer lately too.
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
464 posts
Anthony Morrelle
I used to run CentOS (...) I'm a rhel guy through and through (...) Too bad CentOS as I knew it doesn't exist anymore. I guess I have a few distros to test out
If that's the case, have you tried Rocky Linux? It's basically the successor of CentOS started by Gregory Kurtzer (the founder of CentOS), and is said to be binary compatible with RHEL. Not sure what glibc version they have though. I think Rocky uses RHEL's repositories, so the version is probably the same as RHEL's.
39 posts
ajz3d
If that's the case, have you tried Rocky Linux?
I do run Alma linux, which is another rhel clone that also takes the place of CentOS, for some servers and am ok with it. That may be my next stop... Maybe with some XFCE mixed in to make me really nostalgic. Or I've been meaning to use Rhel proper for some time now and see if I'm missing anything.
Edited by Anthony Morrelle - Feb. 16, 2022 16:46:14
Anthony Morrelle
Hired Gun
114 posts
I've been running it on CentOS 7 since launch with no issues...
1 posts
Hi folks.

I am a Linux user as well and I can say that my problems started when I upgraded to kubuntu 21.10 from 21.04. So from what I know all ubuntu versions and distros based on ubuntu up to 21.04 are working fine. I hope this helps.

Alex
27 posts
I run it on Ubuntu 20.04. But as far as I know it doesn't matter what distro you use. As long as je have all your libs installed
190 posts
I had a bunch of problems untill i switched to rhel8
rocky should be fine to.

rhel9 should probably be without the issue of the inapp browser not working soon.
Edited by NicTanghe - Nov. 7, 2022 04:45:53
3 posts
Ubuntu 22.10 working fine.
Had to install few additional libraries.
help browser is not working though.
1616 posts
srinivas_chilukuri
help browser is not working though.

Bit offtopic here, but try starting it with sandboxing disabled, like so:

QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--no-sandbox" houdinifx &
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
  • Quick Links