WELCOME & RULES

29365   50   4
53 posts
Hey, I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I wanted to be sure that I obey the rules.
One of the points on the main Mardini webpage is: 'Entries that clearly infringe on the copyrights of another company will be disqualified'.
Does making a fanart is an infringement? Let's say I would like to model a character or object from a game/movie or so? Is it allowed?
Edited by wolskikrzys - March 5, 2022 06:10:55
Staff
1182 posts
wolskikrzys
Hey, I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I wanted to be sure that I obey the rules.
One of the points on the main Mardini webpage is: 'Entries that clearly infringe on the copyrights of another company will be disqualified'.
Does making a fanart is an infringement? Let's say I would like to model a character or object from a game/movie or so? Is it allowed?

If it is a direct copy of a character/model then it will not be allowed - if you allude to a character or hint at a character that that should be fine.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
18 posts
Hey there, quick question, I haven't moved to 19 yet because prod reason. Is there any way to use other "similar" nodes from 18.5 for some of the days that really need 19 ?
VFX Artist
UNIT Image - Paris
Staff
1182 posts
SirAlucard
Hey there, quick question, I haven't moved to 19 yet because prod reason. Is there any way to use other "similar" nodes from 18.5 for some of the days that really need 19 ?

It is important to use the H19 node - maybe you can use Apprentice for this day's contest if you don't have a license for H19. You can also run H19 on your computer without removing H18.5 if you have an updated license.
Robert Magee
SideFX
216 posts
Hello,
Is build-in postfx effects inside third party renderengine is allowed (photographic exposure, LUT, bloom, vignetting, etc.) ?
Staff
1182 posts
julca
Hello,
Is build-in postfx effects inside third party renderengine is allowed (photographic exposure, LUT, bloom, vignetting, etc.) ?

As long as it is rendered from within Houdini.
Robert Magee
SideFX
29 posts
I am very much enjoying this challenge! thank you.

It cannot be seen immediately due to the time difference with Japan. I would be very happy if the reference video could be released one day earlier.
Staff
1182 posts
meikonishi
I am very much enjoying this challenge! thank you.

It cannot be seen immediately due to the time difference with Japan. I would be very happy if the reference video could be released one day earlier.

You can find the movies in these places:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulEsteves28/videos [www.youtube.com]

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/h19-nodes/ [www.sidefx.com]
Robert Magee
SideFX
123 posts
Hey, huh, so... About EDT/EST... Did the change actualy already happen? ^^
We haven't changed yet here in France ( it's for sunday, I think ) and I was still going for the "usual" deadline :o
Staff
1182 posts
Wolrajh
Hey, huh, so... About EDT/EST... Did the change actualy already happen? ^^
We haven't changed yet here in France ( it's for sunday, I think ) and I was still going for the "usual" deadline :o

I am accepting entries up to 1AM for this week to help with the transition.
Robert Magee
SideFX
118 posts
Hello!

Just a little feedback to fix on the winners page, the Mesh Tiler appears as Day 19 instead of 20

We are almost done with this!

Cheers!

Attachments:
brave_cqGZkvD8hk.png (2.6 KB)

123 posts
Testing the waters, but I don't suppose there would be any chance we could re-use a model we made for the Skeleton node day for all the week ( or at least a few days ) ?

I know it was mentionned earlier we could recycle some asset but maybe using my scorpion everyday would be a bit too much

edit : to clarify, I'm more thinking of building upon it, block after block, rather than plain lazily using it
Edited by Wolrajh - March 22, 2022 00:09:34
Staff
1182 posts
Wolrajh
Testing the waters, but I don't suppose there would be any chance we could re-use a model we made for the Skeleton node day for all the week ( or at least a few days ) ?

I know it was mentionned earlier we could recycle some asset but maybe using my scorpion everyday would be a bit too much

edit : to clarify, I'm more thinking of building upon it, block after block, rather than plain lazily using it

That is fine.
Robert Magee
SideFX
80 posts
Hey ! Day 25 doesn't seem to be up yet, I'm guessing it has to do with the maintenance ?

Tom
Staff
1182 posts
WaffleBoyTom68
Hey ! Day 25 doesn't seem to be up yet, I'm guessing it has to do with the maintenance ?

Tom

Yes - the deadline for day 24 and day 25 is being moved forward one day to accommodate the power outage.
Robert Magee
SideFX
103 posts
Do we need to use all nodes for day with themes that contain more than 1 one? Ie. Tree Tools, is sole tree trunk generator fine or we need to use all 3 nodes?
Staff
1182 posts
thimer
Do we need to use all nodes for day with themes that contain more than 1 one? Ie. Tree Tools, is sole tree trunk generator fine or we need to use all 3 nodes?

At least one of the nodes.
Robert Magee
SideFX
53 posts
Can we use detailed backplates in our submissions?
74 posts
So regarding the Ironheart challenge, can I submit missing challenges on April 1-3, etc, and then the contact sheet on April 4th? Or does every daily still have to be submitted by tomorrow?
80 posts
Maybe a bit late to point this out, but the light mixer should be day 30 not 20

Attachments:
mardini_nodes_2022.png (331.6 KB)

• Quick Links