POP attrack to nearest point

1272   2   1
45 posts
Hello.

I'm pretty noob with POPs and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to make particles be attracted by nearest points.

I can do something similar if I set "Match Method" to "average position" and setting the number of clusters to match the numbre of given points. But I'm looking for a way that every particle goes to the nearest point automatically without setting numbre of clusters.

If I use "Point per Particle" method every particle choose a target point randomly. Maybe I have to set some attribute for proximity mathcing but I have no idea how to do it in Popnet.

Any help?

In the attached image we can see what I did with clusters method and what I get with Point per Particle method.
Particles are generated form the big circle points and attracted to the 3 external points.
Edited by Gagui - March 18, 2022 15:51:02

Attachments:
POPattract.png (1.6 MB)
POPattract_2.png (1.6 MB)

2528 posts
Here is a basic setup. The concept is you supply an additional point location, such as your target P to each particle. Then when it comes time to evaluate that particle's motion, you can run in VEX mode to supply the v@goal_P as the destination for each particle. I prefer the PopSteerSeek because it offers braking on approach, but you could do the same thing with a PopAttract.

The circle is divided into three segments with the points in each segment being supplied one of the triangle points as v@goalP.

Here is a variation with a 24 frame release and a severe braking force.
Edited by Enivob - March 20, 2022 18:38:38

Attachments:
psys_goal.gif (364.7 KB)
ap_psys_goal.hiplc (305.5 KB)
psys_goal1.gif (292.3 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
45 posts
Hi Enivob.

That's great! Although your setup doesn't find the nearest point automatically I could find a way to do it based on your suggestion.

Just replacing this piece of code:
v@goal_P = point(1,"P",2);
by this one:
i@nearp = nearpoint(1, @P);
v@goal_P = point(1,"P",@nearp);

Where instead of setting manually a goal point for each particle we can leave "nearpoint" choose wich point is the nearest for each particle.

Now I have what I need, thanks!

And BTW PopSteerSeek is much better for my needs, thanks again!
Edited by Gagui - March 21, 2022 06:15:21

Attachments:
POPattract_3.png (1.2 MB)

• Quick Links