3DSceneColors

2408   5   2
2038 posts
I've been trying to change the colors and 'shading'(Alpha values) of my construction grid lines.

I copied the 3DSceneColors file from the SideFx program files into my windows docs/18.XX folder under the config folder and made changes to the colors and alpha values related to the cplane:

CplaneColor:         0.0 0.0 0.0 # non-selected active construction plane
CplaneAlpha: .....
CplaneLineAlpha: .....
etc.

However, after making changes and restarting a client of Houdini, no changes ever gets reflected in the scene.

Do I need to make some changes to the config file too? So that it will look at the copied 3DSceneColor file as a priority one to use?
Edited by BabaJ - Aug. 8, 2021 12:54:59
1769 posts
hi, file should be maybe in the config folder
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
2038 posts
buki
hi, file should be maybe in the config folder

Yes...that is where I put it (as stated).
11 posts
I generally go to the Houdini installation and delete 3DSceneColors.dark from there, since I prefer my own gradient scheme.

It would be great to know how to add more colour options to the Background dropdown.
339 posts
BabaJ
I've been trying to change the colors and 'shading'(Alpha values) of my construction grid lines.

I copied the 3DSceneColors file from the SideFx program files into my windows docs/18.XX folder under the config folder and made changes to the colors and alpha values related to the cplane:

CplaneColor:         0.0 0.0 0.0 # non-selected active construction plane
CplaneAlpha: .....
CplaneLineAlpha: .....
etc.

However, after making changes and restarting a client of Houdini, no changes ever gets reflected in the scene.

Do I need to make some changes to the config file too? So that it will look at the copied 3DSceneColor file as a priority one to use?
I usually have 3DSceneColors.light in one of the HOUDINI_PATHs, let's say $HOME/houdini19.0/config, that will override the scheme in found in Houdini installation. If you have it in your own package then you can save your edits across installations.

Seems you're placing it in the write place, so it should be overriding. Could it be that there's some error and defaulting to the installation one?
Edited by probiner - March 23, 2022 07:46:52
28 posts
I have the same question.
I just want to change my viewport background color and it is way too difficult for a 3D Software.
I modified 3DSceneColor.dark and dark is selected in the viewport.

3DSceneColor is actually pointing to your selected color theme .dark or .ligh.
  • Quick Links