How can I increase more and more details in a pyro sim?

3114   6   3
407 posts
Hello guys,

Please take a look at the image below.
I'm looking for the all options that help me to add maximum details to my pyro(fire) simulation.
In the smoke object, I tried to use a higher "Voxel size" resolution, but it doesn't help that much.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Attachments:
Pyro_Dtail.jpg (364.2 KB)

Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
407 posts
Any idea?
385 posts
Voxel size is important but part of it would also be to find the range of values of your flame and temperature fields and rescale source range values in your shader so that you get variation where you need it.
236 posts
Yup.

Voxel res that is greater than 1p pixel from camera view is redundant, so as long as you have that in a decent range,
it more comes down to what Tanto said. The default temp/flame ranges are very broad, and tend to render quite soft as the
transition in ranges is very smooth. Find more interesting min/max ranges to work with, and remap their ramp to "crunch"
the values more. This creates a sharper transition in values which results in those more crisp looking flames.

You can also look into sharpening the volume values as another level of crispy, but usually the ranges and remapping does
the trick.

L
Edited by lewis_T - April 25, 2022 01:12:38
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
8531 posts
also keep in mind that no amount of resolution or remapping would help if your sim is smooth
make sure to break up your velocities with detail appropriate to your resolution using the shaping tools like disturbance, shredding and turbulence
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
143 posts
Here is great article by Jeff Wagner about the shaping:
https://forums.odforce.net/topic/18397-get-rid-of-mushroom-effect-in-explosion-and-add-details-in-the-opening/ [forums.odforce.net]

(edit: it is ~10th post and further on that page)
Edited by ikoon - April 26, 2022 07:46:51
407 posts
Thanks guys, very useful tips..!
  • Quick Links