Run PDG work items through the same instance of Hython?

2090   3   1
3 posts
The starting of Hython takes much longer than the work item cook. Is there a way to set all work items to render on a single instance?
8525 posts
you can potentially set your node to All Frames In One Batch so that it uses the same instance

but maybe better start a PDG Service and make your chosen TOPs use it
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/tops/services.html [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by tamte - April 29, 2022 22:06:28
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
3 posts
I will look into starting a PDG service. The other thing I was experimenting with was wrapping everything as an HDA and using the "all Items in one Batch" batch mode. Although currently it is showing me this error stack on cooking.

[13:09:19.064] Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/Users/V-LUKE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/0415_DS_1_Military/pdgtemp/22612/scripts/hdaprocessor.py", line 899, in <module>
main()
File "C:/Users/V-LUKE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/0415_DS_1_Military/pdgtemp/22612/scripts/hdaprocessor.py", line 895, in main
run_job_mode()
File "C:/Users/V-LUKE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/0415_DS_1_Military/pdgtemp/22612/scripts/hdaprocessor.py", line 792, in run_job_mode
result = hda_service.run_job(sub_item, temp_dir)
File "C:/Users/V-LUKE~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/0415_DS_1_Military/pdgtemp/22612/scripts/hdaprocessor.py", line 688, in run_job
flattened_stage = stage.Flatten()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Flatten'

I don't see the normal USD export controls which could be weird. Normally I would make sure my USD is not flattened so file sizes don't get out of control and make sure that there is a default prim set but I don't see any UI for this.
3 posts
Just tried the PDG services and it worked like a charm. So I think I will just run with that method.
  • Quick Links