eyeballs shading transparency issue with karma?

1874   6   1
25 posts
I have some eye made up of basically two 3d objects per eye, the eyeballs and a liquid surface that wraps around them. The problem is that no matter what I do the eyeballs look black. It wont let me see the eyeballs under the liquid surface? I tried both materialx and principled shader. Any tips? thanks
Edited by tarincamarena - June 3, 2022 16:33:57
7747 posts
Make sure you have fake caustics turned on (principled shader) or use a karma fake caustics node with materialX.
25 posts
Thanks. That helps a bit, but I think part of it is a scene scale issue? because any liquid I create is black. But if i scale it up its starts becoming transparent. I also notice it is messing up my subsurface scattering on my character. Whats the best way to handle this issue? Do i need to scale everything up 100 times, or is there a way to bring everything to Houdini normal scale? I have objects in my evironment that are up to 50 meters tall. That would make everything super big. I dont want to run into any scene accuracy issues.
Edited by tarincamarena - June 3, 2022 19:06:22
8535 posts
depending on at which scales you see the issue it may be caused by Ray Bias
Edited by tamte - June 4, 2022 17:01:15
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
25 posts
tamte
Im just using the Karma rop with default settings and objects imported through sopimport node. To get proper subsurface scattering, and refractions I have to scale the objects up by 100 times. However displacement seems to work correctly without scaling up. IM not sure at what scale other lighting calculations are made. But for things to look proper I have to scale up the objects by 100 and multiply the displacement by 100.
8535 posts
tarincamarena
tamte
Im just using the Karma rop with default settings and objects imported through sopimport node. To get proper subsurface scattering, and refractions I have to scale the objects up by 100 times. However displacement seems to work correctly without scaling up. IM not sure at what scale other lighting calculations are made. But for things to look proper I have to scale up the objects by 100 and multiply the displacement by 100.
What I meant is try decreasing Ray Bias on Karma if you are dealing with tiny scales and don't want to scale your scene
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
25 posts
tamte
tarincamarena
tamte
What I meant is try decreasing Ray Bias on Karma if you are dealing with tiny scales and don't want to scale your scene

Thanks! that does help quite a bit. Everything is modelled in real world scale in Houdini's 1meter = 1 unit default scale. However everything still does look much more accurate scaled up 100 times, so that seems like the best way to go.
  • Quick Links