Viewport not displaying the correct result.

3840   11   5
517 posts
Hi all,

I often find that the Houdini viewport is not correctly displaying the result that it should be. Pressing the labs "reset viewport" fixes the issue but it happens pretty frequently, I'm probably resetting the view every ten or so minutes and it's a little frustrating.
I'm on Houdini 19.5 using macOS Monterey but this has been ongoing for a while for me.
I haven't found a good way to repro the problem. Just wondering if anyone else runs into this?

Thanks,
Pete
2528 posts
I noticed immediately when I started using Houdini in 12.5. I reported it, and SideFX support mentioned the product is transitioning to new OpenGL shaders. The problem still persists today. Stale data gets trapped in the display buffer and the viewport reset, or Houdini restart is the only fix. It's not just Mac, I experience it on Windows and Ubuntu.

You can use the Report Bug/RFE menu option under the Support menu.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7737 posts
Enivob
I noticed immediately when I started using Houdini in 12.5. I reported it, and SideFX support mentioned the product is transitioning to new OpenGL shaders. The problem still persists today. Stale data gets trapped in the display buffer and the viewport reset, or Houdini restart is the only fix. It's not just Mac, I experience it on Windows and Ubuntu.

You can use the Report Bug/RFE menu option under the Support menu.

It's behavioral too though. If you avoid the actions most likely to result in stale viewport data, you'll never see it. One tip, never dive into a sop solver without pinning the viewer above it.
517 posts
Thanks, I'm not using solvers but I'll try and keep an eye out and see if I can pin something down.
It's a shame it's been around so long. Houdini is already tricky to get your head around but randomly showing you the wrong thing adds a little extra challenge :o
Edited by peteski - July 12, 2022 19:04:01
2528 posts
Here's one place developers could look. When my mesh is viewed through a camera, it flickers horribly. We all know this is z-fighting, so what's going on here? My guess is that in camera mode, two copies of the mesh are superimposed on top of one another. When I unlock the camera and move natively in the 3D viewport, the mesh looks fine. This indicates a coding error to me. There are two copies presented for a locked camera when only one is required.

H19.0.622.
nVidia GeForce RTX 3050 driver: 512.15.
Edited by Enivob - July 13, 2022 09:32:48

Attachments:
viewport_mess.gif (3.6 MB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
406 posts
I said it before, but think the viewport and GUI are really outdated in Houdini and could use some proper polishing. But I get the feeling this has a very low priority :-/
330 posts
Enivob
When my mesh is viewed through a camera, it flickers horribly. We all know this is z-fighting, so what's going on here?
Adjust the clipping planes on your camera. You can do that manually, or try Space+H to get them to fit automatically (although that is a hit or miss at extreme scales).
Edited by eikonoklastes - July 14, 2022 03:03:15
59 posts
I think its 19.0.5, since 19.5 is about to release , unless u r in a beta or alpha tester team o a inhouse member
Houdini Fx Artist (Build)
517 posts
Ooops! Yeah, I'm on 19.0.6 sorry about that
132 posts
peteski
Hi all,

I often find that the Houdini viewport is not correctly displaying the result that it should be. Pressing the labs "reset viewport" fixes the issue but it happens pretty frequently, I'm probably resetting the view every ten or so minutes and it's a little frustrating.
I'm on Houdini 19.5 using macOS Monterey but this has been ongoing for a while for me.
I haven't found a good way to repro the problem. Just wondering if anyone else runs into this?

Thanks,
Pete

Where do I find the labs reset viewport?
I'm looking in the stage viewport and on the SideFXLabs shelf, but don't see it.
Thanks
Jeroen
517 posts

On the top menu. It's a good one to have bound to a shortcut actually.
Edited by peteski - Aug. 16, 2022 21:45:06

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 11.43.16 am.png (68.5 KB)

159 posts
peteski
Image Not Found

On the top menu. It's a good one to have bound to a shortcut actually.

Good to know. Thanks!
  • Quick Links