is Karma the replacement for Mantra now for rendering?

1638   6   1
2 posts
is Karma the replacement for Mantra now?
273 posts
yes
8525 posts
It depends on your needs and workflows

Karma is still not 1-1 replacement for Mantra
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7737 posts
tamte
It depends on your needs and workflows

Karma is still not 1-1 replacement for Mantra

It's in addition to Mantra. Mantra is still the only way to render objects directly.
238 posts
whatever floats your boat.
Karma has the "overhead" to work in Solaris, which I find more and more useful even when running solo.
Must also say that by building up your scenes from ground up in solaris reaps way more benefits in the long run.

There are still gaps between Mantra and Karma, but those getting tighter with every release. Husk Procedurals are looking big!
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
233 posts
sekow
Karma has the "overhead" to work in Solaris, which I find more and more useful even when running solo.
Must also say that by building up your scenes from ground up in solaris reaps way more benefits in the long run.

There are still gaps between Mantra and Karma, but those getting tighter with every release. Husk Procedurals are looking big!

What gaps do you still see with the 19.5 release?
7737 posts
LukeP
sekow

What gaps do you still see with the 19.5 release?

dispersion - probably coming eventually though
non-photorealistic rendering - very broad I know but includes techniques that aren't really possible without control of the lighting pipeline.
bilinear vertex interpolation - mantra uses a higher quality bi-linear interpolation of vertex attributes on quads whereas karma converts everything to triangles which requires the lower quality barycentric interpolation.
photon-based techniques - love them or hate them, karma doesn't have it
volume procedural
NURBS LOL
Edited by jsmack - July 21, 2022 19:05:07
  • Quick Links