Solaris Portal Lights?

5348   14   5
52 posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup portal lights for karma, but Im not finding any information regarding this. I've tried just placing a simple grid geometry (imported via sopImport) and use that inside a domelight Lop, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

What is the recommended workflow here ?

Thanks!
Staff
418 posts
Portal lights aren't supported in Karma yet.
7737 posts
Is the machinery in place to compose a stage that defines portal lights for renderers that do? (prman)
146 posts
jsmack
Is the machinery in place to compose a stage that defines portal lights for renderers that do? (prman)
renderman doesn't support portals with Solaris so maybe it's not there…
52 posts
Thanks for the replies!
8 posts
Hey Guys,

Any updates on this? are portals supported in 18.0 Karma?

The parameter for portals is there, in the dome Lop node, but i cant get any results.

Thanks
Staff
2590 posts
Portal lights didn't make it into H18.5, but there will be support in the next major release.
948 posts
Since I was diving in to Solaris I did a search about portals in Karma and I found this thread.
Any updates on this?
I see a portal slot on the env light bit no documentation about how to setup this.

Thanks in advance.
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
208 posts
mzigaib
Since I was diving in to Solaris I did a search about portals in Karma and I found this thread.
Any updates on this?
I see a portal slot on the env light bit no documentation about how to setup this.

Bumping this thread along. Anyone get portal lights working?
948 posts
kevinthebright
mzigaib
Any updates on this?

Bumping this thread along. Anyone get portal lights working?

It seems to work if you set your portal geo with the render geometry settings LOP as "is portal" on and then point the same light in the dome light as your portal geometry.

I hope that helps
Staff
418 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/kug/lights.html#portal [www.sidefx.com]

Currently due to Hydra limitation "Portals" parameter on Dome Light doesn't get translated - instead you need to assign Render Geometry Settings LOP on your portal geometry (any polygonal mesh will do) and enable "Is Portal" toggle (under Light section).
208 posts
I just created mesh lights y'day. You would think that Portal box would have registered. Thanks guys!
948 posts
Hey, can anyone confirm that this is working for CPU and XPU?
Because I am not sure how this should work visually do I supposed to see my portal light cropped like my portal geo?
Edited by mzigaib - Sept. 22, 2022 13:03:53
2 posts
Would love to hear an update if portal lights are now working and how to correctly set them up.
1 posts
Spent a bit of time yesterday trying to get portals to work and finally managed it:

1. Create dome light
2. Create a grid
3. User 'render geometry settings' node to mark this grid as a portal

At this point you should expect usual portal-like behaviour i.e. light will not be cast from the dome, but only through the grid/portal.
Works on XPU H20.

The thing that was tripping me up was that i kept trying to use a rectangle light as a portal; as far as i can tell you CANNOT turn existing lights into portals. Regular geo seems to work. It took me too long to work this out
  • Quick Links