Sometimes Curve Tool wont work in Unity 2022,1,5f1

2175   4   2
9 posts
Hi Im evaluating Houdini workflow for my company, im going trough the Sci Fi Level Builder tutorial, while ive been testing the HDA attached to the project files, I noticed that in unity 2021 the curve tool wasnt working. So i updated my unity to 2022 and I exposed the parameter again. It worked, but during my short presentation the houdini engine curve menu in unity disparead.
I restarted my unity and it wasnt working again. so i restarted my pc but that didnt help either. Next time i opened steam firsts, and launched pipe session, after i opened unity before i clicked on hda in my scene i tried to connect to pipe session, but error apearedit tells me to check if pipe session name is valid. but i dont know what it compare it to. Houdini is installed in specified location.
To check if this HDA is somehow corrupted i've opened houdini engine tools from houdini engine menu, and selected curve instancer- create tool. this didnt created curve either
The Green curve is still visible in my Level_Builder_Tutorial_File_1_2 but i cant see the menu that allows me to add, or edit points on the curve
Ive looked on the forum and Ive found two solutions. one is to upgrade unity which i did, the other one is to use old curve node. Which I enabled in Shelf Tools and Tab Menu and select >Show All Operators. but im not sure which node to select

Can you please help to achieve stable usage of the curve menu option? Should I change my unity version and if so to which version, connect differently with pipe sesssion(if so-how?) or use different curve node(if so, which one?)
10 posts
Hi there.
assuming you're using the default curve tool that comes with Houdini, This is a common issue after the curve tool gets updated to version 2.0. it's not well integrated with the Houdini engine yet. you should use the old version 1.0 for this sort of work. (Houdini engine related).

to get version 1.0, here is what you'll have to do,

go to Assets in the top bar > go the asset manager > configuration > Assets Definition Tool

by default, it will be 'hide', select the 'show always'.

now at the curve tool parameter, you'll see the Assets name and path, beside that you can select the version of the node.

hope this will help.
Ismayel alam
9 posts
the file i am using comes from tutorial https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/sci-fi-level-builder/ [www.sidefx.com] and its already been build by using old curve. So unfortunatelly is a different bug
10 posts
Hi, in that case, I'm not sure what is causing the issue. I downloaded the file you refer to and tested it in unity and it's working fine on my end. I'm using the most updated version of both Houdini(19.5) and unity(2021.3.8f1) and imported the "Level_Builder_Tutorial_File" from the tutorial project file.

Attachments:
01.png (333.5 KB)

Ismayel alam
14 posts
Not sure if this is helpful but I never saw a editable curve on anything until I went to HoudiniEngine > New Node > Curve and drew out a curve and edited it with that tool. But after that, dragging and dropping an HDA into a new scene worked, or if it didn't it was because the I needed to create a new Houdini Engine session or rebuild the HDA. Seems to have some issues with updating. The Unity Starter Kit HDA files weren't even letting me edit them until I did this. Maybe a red herring but figured I'd share.
  • Quick Links