A process of a node "remesh" freezes

1454   5   1
6 posts
Greetings to all residents of the forum. Have you encountered such a problem as freezing the work of the remesh node? I did a series of manipulations with Hightfeild to create mountains. Then I trimmed the edges. Next, I needed to reshape with node "boolean" the polygons for texturing. As soon as I attach the remesh node the process freezes, although 2,758,000 polygons shouldn't be a problem. The task manager shows that something is happening, the memory (32GB) is at a maximum of 90-98%, the i9 processor produces 7-8%. I sat all evening. Tried several times to start the process. I connected the node in different ways. I checked for problems with polygons. Everything is clear. I had wait full night today, but nope.
Help me please.
Edited by NataChern - Aug. 12, 2022 11:13:48
MilaChern
2529 posts
Sorry to tell you, but you may need more physical ram. One thing to try is an attribute delete, especially if you are remeshing at the end of your height field network. Height fields use a lot of behind-the-scenes attributes that you don't need for final meshing. By deleting those before remeshing, you'll use less memory in the remesh process. There is a dedicated node Convert Height Field. You may want to try that instead of Remesh.
Edited by Enivob - Aug. 16, 2022 09:30:15
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7737 posts
I think more likely is the remesh node is being used with an unrealistic target size. Terrain meshes are often quite large in space, so the default resolution of 0.1 or 0.2 is generating too many divisions, more than will fit in memory with only 32GB. Try increasing the target size to at least 1, but try 2 or 4 and see if it still runs out of memory.
900 posts
You could try the new Labs Fast Remesh node, which is based on the same Remesh Sop you're using, with the added benefits of being much faster (thanks to parallel processing).

Also, related to what jsmack was saying about "unrealistic target size", the new Fast Remesh calculates the average edge length of the input geo and let you base your remeshing on a ratio of it. Or even better, you can decide a target polycount for the output.
This is to avoid random guess work that can cost you a lot of computation time.
Edited by Andr - Aug. 13, 2022 03:39:58
6 posts
jsmack
I think more likely is the remesh node is being used with an unrealistic target size. Terrain meshes are often quite large in space, so the default resolution of 0.1 or 0.2 is generating too many divisions, more than will fit in memory with only 32GB. Try increasing the target size to at least 1, but try 2 or 4 and see if it still runs out of memory.

Thanks a lot. Before starting, I set 1. Parameter 3 helped a lot. But further work is still going slowly. The guys gave more advice. I follow them too.
MilaChern
7737 posts
Andr
You could try the new Labs Fast Remesh node, which is based on the same Remesh Sop you're using, with the added benefits of being much faster (thanks to parallel processing).

Also, related to what jsmack was saying about "unrealistic target size", the new Fast Remesh calculates the average edge length of the input geo and let you base your remeshing on a ratio of it. Or even better, you can decide a target polycount for the output.
This is to avoid random guess work that can cost you a lot of computation time.

Yeah, but then you'd have to install labs.
  • Quick Links