Solars: ideas to globally switch all geo to low res textures

1197   6   1
644 posts
Hi.

I am trying to come up with ideas on how to globally control if my geo switches to really low res textures or the full res ones.

Doing it with variants on each asset is pretty simple, but I am trying to figure out how to control the entire stage/scene rather than per asset. Has anyone else tries this sort of thing?

Best

Mark
2534 posts
Can't you use the D-KEY Display option for that? You can dynamically reduce textures, 2D and 3D by a percentage.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7758 posts
Use a proxies for all assets with render purpose set to proxy. Look at how the ALab is authored by Animal Logic.
644 posts
Hi. If I am doing a Karma render would the Proxie purpose not just to render purpose. What I really want to do is very fast Karma renders, and then full quality Karma renders. but by using a very simple switch of some kind (only one switch) Best. Mark
8539 posts
Mark Wallman
If I am doing a Karma render would the Proxie purpose not just to render purpose.
it depends on which purpose you let your Karma to render, you can switch it in sunglasses menu for the viewport or on USD Render ROP for offline render
Edited by tamte - Aug. 25, 2022 12:18:02
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
644 posts
Hi.

Oww. Thanks. I will look into it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Best
644 posts
Hi. I'm not at Houdini right now. But if I want to change the material karma purpose to proxie but keep my geo to default rather than proxie can I do this? I dp actually have poly reduced proxie geo bit the uvs are wrecked on those which is fine. What I want ot do is just switch the hero geo te textures only. Best
  • Quick Links