Render farm and karma

5512   12   6
141 posts
Hello ,

I can search in the doc but I can't find it or I have to search wrong, but how do you launch a Karma rendering in Hqueue, it may not be possible yet?
Edited by bgood - Dec. 18, 2019 05:18:11
Sorry for my english but i learn too ^^

1 ryzen 3970X 64go
1 xeon hexacore 32go
1 i7 hexacore 16o
948 posts
That is a question that I am still looking for the answer!
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
64 posts
In H19, I've gotten it to work using the technique in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNrW9SYuxkk [www.youtube.com] . In summary, drop a fetch node in /OUT context, point the fetch to the render rop inside the /STAGE karma render node, then connect the fetch node to an Hqueue Render node.

This works on machines with full Houdini licenses, but not on the rest of the farm that only has renderer licenses. I believe it's because this setup calls hython to generate the USD file for Husk and that consumes a license. I'm assuming that what we really need is something similar to IFD workflow, where we use a USD render rop on a licensed machine to generate the USD files, then ask husk/hqueue to render the USD directly.

Am I on the right track? Is there a way to do this without having to roll my own submission tool?
378 posts
Is there any new information on this?
I have tried using the Fetch in 19.5 but it fails immediately in HQueue.
Same with the new Karma ROP in the Out context. Mantra works fine. Some of the output log below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/stage/usdrender_rop1/outputprocessors", line 2, in expression
File "D:\SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/houdini/python3.9libs\loputils.py", line 11, in <module>
from pxr import Gf, Vt, Tf, Kind, Sdf, Sdr, Pcp
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Gf\__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
from pxr import Tf
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Tf\__init__.py", line 163, in <module>
PreparePythonModule()
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Tf\__init__.py", line 87, in PreparePythonModule
with WindowsImportWrapper():
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\contextlib.py", line 119, in __enter__
return next(self.gen)
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Tf\__init__.py", line 47, in WindowsImportWrapper
dirs.append(os.add_dll_directory(path))
File "D:\SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/python39\lib\os.py", line 1111, in add_dll_directory
cookie = nt._add_dll_directory(path)
OSError: The parameter is incorrect: '.\\python39'

PROGRESS: 0%
Generating Output File: R:/nettest_karma2/nettest_karma2.karma1.0016.exr
Error running Python menu script in parameter,
Output Processors (/out/karma1/lopnet/rop_usdrender/outputprocessors):
File "/out/karma1/lopnet/rop_usdrender/outputprocessors", line 2, in expression
File "D:\SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/houdini/python3.9libs\loputils.py", line 11, in <module>
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Gf\__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
from pxr import Tf
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Tf\__init__.py", line 163, in <module>
PreparePythonModule()
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Tf\__init__.py", line 87, in PreparePythonModule
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\contextlib.py", line 119, in __enter__
return next(self.gen)
File "D:\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.303\python39\lib\site-packages\pxr\Tf\__init__.py", line 47, in WindowsImportWrapper
File "D:\SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/python39\lib\os.py", line 1111, in add_dll_directory

------------------------------------------------------------------
64 posts
Does the render node that's failing have a full houdini or houdini engine license? Not just a karma license?
378 posts
BradThompson
Does the render node that's failing have a full houdini or houdini engine license? Not just a karma license?
It's the full install and it is not just one node failing, it is the whole job, It doesn't even get assigned to any nodes after the job prep.
Did you get it to work with 19.5 (303)?
Edited by OneBigTree - Aug. 31, 2022 09:59:56
64 posts
OneBigTree

I ended up going another direction and wrote a tool that submits USD render jobs to Husk through hqueue. That way, only karma licenses are needed on the farm. I posted an early version of it here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/82771/?page=1#post-355883 [www.sidefx.com] . I'd love to post my latest version but I no longer have access to it. I didn't try the fetch node approach in 19.5.
378 posts
BradThompson
OneBigTree

I ended up going another direction and wrote a tool that submits USD render jobs to Husk through hqueue. That way, only karma licenses are needed on the farm. I posted an early version of it here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/82771/?page=1#post-355883 [www.sidefx.com] . I'd love to post my latest version but I no longer have access to it. I didn't try the fetch node approach in 19.5.
I see, thanks for the link. I hope SideFX adds this or something similar to the arsenal so people who do not want or can not build their own tools can use Karma with HQueue more easily, now that it is officially production ready.
64 posts
I agree 100% and I was surprised that a husk submission tool was not included. I haven't tried it myself, but Deadline Render Manager from Thinkbox/Amazon is now free and has a Houdini integration. If I were tackling this problem today, I would investigate that approach.
378 posts
BradThompson
I agree 100% and I was surprised that a husk submission tool was not included. I haven't tried it myself, but Deadline Render Manager from Thinkbox/Amazon is now free and has a Houdini integration. If I were tackling this problem today, I would investigate that approach.
And here I was so happy that I got HQueue to work for the first time because they replaced the client service with a startup command....
11 posts
OneBigTree
Same with the new Karma ROP in the Out context. Mantra works fine. Some of the output log below:

File "D:\SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/houdini/python3.9libs\loputils.py", line 11, in &lt;module&gt;
from pxr import Tf
PreparePythonModule()
return next(self.gen)

from pxr import Tf
PreparePythonModule()
return next(self.gen)

same here, I don't have a clue on how to fix this.
21 posts
OneBigTree

File "D:\SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.303/houdini/python3.9libs\loputils.py", line 11, in &lt;module&gt;
from pxr import Tf
PreparePythonModule()
return next(self.gen)

from pxr import Tf
PreparePythonModule()
return next(self.gen)

I got same errors, how did you fix this?
378 posts
I fixed this by switching back to Redshift and not using Solaris. I do not have time to "R&D" this.
  • Quick Links