how do I manually edit curve point coordinates

3856   15   1
98 posts
H19 curve tool has improved tremendously.
I would like to manually edit the XYZ point position values of a curve sop node.

I thought spreadsheet would allow me to do that, but it does not.
How do I manually type in the XYZ point position values?
378 posts
WillA
H19 curve tool has improved tremendously.
I would like to manually edit the XYZ point position values of a curve sop node.

I thought spreadsheet would allow me to do that, but it does not.
How do I manually type in the XYZ point position values?
I would like to do that for points in general, not just curves. Very useful for architecture.
I bet the answer is a point wrangle or something similar non-interactive.
Edited by OneBigTree - Sept. 5, 2022 18:34:24
98 posts
OneBigTree
I would like to do that for points in general, not just curves. Very useful for architecture.

I agree. Thing is point or attrubutewrangle would be somewhat cumbersome to do such trivial editing even though Vex offers a wide range of procedural modification of the data.
It's surprising that a feature to edit point values isn't easily accessible.
Spreadsheet seems like the most obvious place to allow such editing, but it would have to be saved as a sop node in order to adhere to the network style flow of Houdini.
4 posts
Hi WillA,

It sounds like what you might be looking for is 'Current Operation' in the Parameters pane. When the Curve SOP is selected and you are in edit mode you can enter values and move relative to the current position. (Either select points in the view scene view and then enter the value or enter the point # and then the value)

I hope this is helpful,

Sam
98 posts
Sammer1
Hi WillA,

It sounds like what you might be looking for is 'Current Operation' in the Parameters pane. When the Curve SOP is selected and you are in edit mode you can enter values and move relative to the current position. (Either select points in the view scene view and then enter the value or enter the point # and then the value)

I hope this is helpful,

Sam

Hi Sam,

I appreciate your suggestion and just tried it.
This is somewhat helpful except that the "Current Operation" in the Parameters pane of a curve sop, offers a way to modify the selected point relative to the existing value. Similar to a transform sop.

I would like to be able to type in the actual coordinate value.
For example, I want to make sure that certain points in a curve are a specific Z value.
I realize attributewrangle offers a way to do that via Vex code but sometimes I would rather just type in the numbers.

Thanks for your input.
7734 posts
WillA
OneBigTree

I agree. Thing is point or attrubutewrangle would be somewhat cumbersome to do such trivial editing even though Vex offers a wide range of procedural modification of the data.
It's surprising that a feature to edit point values isn't easily accessible.
Spreadsheet seems like the most obvious place to allow such editing, but it would have to be saved as a sop node in order to adhere to the network style flow of Houdini.

Why not use the spreadsheet to edit the values then?
98 posts
jsmack
Why not use the spreadsheet to edit the values then?

Selecting the spreadsheet of a curve sop (by right clicking on it) will not allow any changes via the keyboard.

If I add an edit sop and open the spreadsheet pane for that sop,
then I can type in values.
After making any value changes in the spreadsheet the edit sop enables a lock flag. This makes sense.

Unfortunately, I am seeing some very strange behavior. The values I type are not the result once I click enter.
The original value is -19.1314
I type -15.2222 enter key
The result is

Good suggestion Jsmack but ... arghh not a solid result.
131 posts
You can go to Assets > Asset Definition Toolbar > Show Always and choose the previous version of the Curve SOP, that lets you enter coordinates as a series of XYZ coordinates. Alternatively, you can use the Add SOP to place points and then in the Polygons tab select "By Group" and it'll produce a curve from the points in the Points tab.
98 posts
Jikian
You can go to Assets > Asset Definition Toolbar > Show Always and choose the previous version of the Curve SOP, that lets you enter coordinates as a series of XYZ coordinates. Alternatively, you can use the Add SOP to place points and then in the Polygons tab select "By Group" and it'll produce a curve from the points in the Points tab.

Jikian thanks for your suggestions.
Thing is, I would like to take advantage of the significant interactive improvements of the new Curve tool.
Also, the add SOP would only be useful if I knew the point coordinates before the curve has been started.
This topic is about manually editing the coordinates of the points of an existing curve.
2036 posts
Add a transform sop, specify points, then type in the point number;

or create a multip parm block list in a wrangle...that specifies point number and respective positions.
8513 posts
while not ideal I found that Rig Pose is pretty helpful in editing curve points post creation both as Offset or Absolute values

check World Space to avoid it behaving like hierarchy
and then move points
if you want to set values in Absolute coordinates change Mode to Override
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
98 posts
tamte
while not ideal I found that Rig Pose is pretty helpful in editing curve points post creation both as Offset or Absolute values

check World Space to avoid it behaving like hierarchy
and then move points
if you want to set values in Absolute coordinates change Mode to Override

Tamte, I admit rigpose is usable for editing curve points post creation.
Override mode does allow explicit value setting.
However, Spreadsheet seems like the more intuitive user-friendly interface to enable manual editing of existing point values.
In the spreadsheet you see the original coordinate values which rigpose and transform does not provide.

I don't understand why spreadsheet panes of some Sops are haphazardly prevented from being able to edit the displayed values.
Engaging the SOP lock flag provides a mechanism to store spreadsheet edits.

Of course, in Houdini there are often many ways to get results. Perhaps putting in an RFE is the only way to go with a feature like this.
2036 posts
WillA
Of course, in Houdini there are often many ways to get results. Perhaps putting in an RFE is the only way to go with a feature like this.

RFE is but one way....after that while you wait for the feature if it becomes implemented, you can make your own tool that approximates the same functionality you desire - after all that's Houdinis strength - making ones own tools for specific purposes.
98 posts
BabaJ
WillA

RFE is but one way....after that while you wait for the feature if it becomes implemented, you can make your own tool that approximates the same functionality you desire - after all that's Houdinis strength - making ones own tools for specific purposes.

I have to admit I'm tempted to create a python sop to do this. Creating the gui would require lots of learning but at least it would be a clear prototype to demonstrate what I would like.
11 posts
WillA
Sammer1
Hi WillA,

I hope this is helpful,

Sam

For example, I want to make sure that certain points in a curve are a specific Z value.

A somewhat cumbersome method, select the point in the view, press the K key, right-click on the handle, select move handle to world origin, and enter the absolute position value in the parameter on the right.

Another more concise method is to set the absolute position value you need in pivot translate in curve sop parameter, and then set the current operator scale to 0, then press enter.
Edited by yeatshai - Sept. 21, 2022 03:00:47
27 posts
yeatshai
WillA
Sammer1
Hi WillA,

I hope this is helpful,

Sam

A somewhat cumbersome method, select the point in the view, press the K key, right-click on the handle, select move handle to world origin, and enter the absolute position value in the parameter on the right.

Another more concise method is to set the absolute position value you need in pivot translate in curve sop parameter, and then set the current operator scale to 0, then press enter.
These kinds of things make me miss XSI...I'm trying to animate points for a tracked camera and the transformation always reset to 0.
  • Quick Links